KS-18XL with new board won’t calibrate balance

DCrider

I replaced my burned out board with a new one and after putting most of the wheel together, I went to test it and it took off like a bat out of hell as soon as I placed it upright.  Oops, forgot to calibrate.  Went to calibrate it, placed it upright against a tree, turned it on, got 4 beeps then a long one. Turned it on again, and again it takes off and almost breaks my wrist.  I’ve repeated this process many times and either it takes off until it wrecks or it attempts to snap my wrist if I’m holding it upright. 

fwiw, this isn’t my first rodeo, I own six wheels and have never had a problem calibrating any of them. Any ideas? I’ve looked in the main KS app, soft tune, and darkness bot but don’t see another way to recalibrate. 

• Like 1

Did you maybe switch some cables, so the wheel is self-unbalancing instead of self-balancing? (Because the motor turns in the wrong direction.)

I don't know if this is actually possible (with the 18XL or in general), but it's the only thing I can come up with (other than your new board being bad). Might be worth it to double-check/ask here that your wires are where they should be.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I thought about that but both the Hall and the Phase wires can only be inserted one way. Maybe I'll check that the board has the Phase and Hall wires in the same order as the old board. I agree, it has to be a bad board or miss wired, which also is bad board construction. I assume if I get 4 beeps and then a long one (standard procedure for KS wheels) that it at least thinks it's balanced.  

On hollow motor wheels the motor can be installed backwards and then this happens, but on an 18XL that's not possible is it?

Checking the wires sounds like a good idea. The colors could possibly represent a different wire. How could someone measure that, hmm? I hear you need a 5v power supply and then you check the voltage on the three hall sensor wires while spinning the motor.

• Like 1