Kingsong 16S 420Wh Serial number change

maebs

I changed the serial number of my 16S from S4 to S1 (680Wh). So the app unlocked 35km/h as max speed.

Is there a risk of a faceplant considering the wheel thinks it has more battery capacity than it actually has?

Should I do a battery upgrade?

Is there a way to use the 16S 420Wh safely cruising at 30-33km/h?

26 minutes ago, maebs said:

Is there a risk of a faceplant considering the wheel thinks it has more battery capacity than it actually has?

At higher speeds the risk to faceplant is higher.

Should I do a battery upgrade?

This would decrease the risk to overlean.

Is there a way to use the 16S 420Wh safely cruising at 30-33km/h?

If one rides with full battery, low burden (acceleration, incline, headwind,...) it should be save.

Overlean risk is increased with higher speeds and higher burdens.

And decreased with higher voltages (charge %) and more cells in parallel.

The max speed depends on a lot of things. Wind, rolling resistance, inclination+weight, level of charge, battery pack age.

I'd do a pickup speed test if I were you and subtract about 20km/h. So if you can get it to spin at 53km/h then sure ride 33km/h. Do the test at 50% battery too to see your max speed at that charge level. If it's 48 then you should probably stay at max 28km/h.

The smaller your pack is the more you need to subtract.

I have done the mistake of falling in love with a wheel after ten thousand km and I kept riding the max speed for thousands of km. It ended up with a faceplant without even pushing the wheel hard. What happens is that you're running it at the edge for long periods of time. It's not a good long term solution. Max speed is for short periods. Upgrade your wheel to be able to cruise without risk. 

Edited by alcatraz

So you made your wheel think that it's a more powerful version which is capable of higher speeds, despite having the lower-end model, and you're wondering if it's safe to ride at the higher speeds?

I'll let you think about that one :)