Can't get the V8 stator out!! Any ideas?

alcatraz

Hey fellas

I'm taking my wife's V8 motor apart for fixing bearings and/or cracked magnets (clunky motor even when off). I can't get the axle and stator assembly out of the left side cover+rim. 

20230828-101132.jpg

The v8 only has a motor cover on the right side. That came off really easy. I've now been hammering on the axle sticking out on the other side for 10 min and I can even get the motor cover to buckle. The damn stator wont come out. I have a pretty big mallet and it won't budge.

I suppose I need to press it out or something hmm. How about heat? I guess it won't work because the axle and bearing races are both steel.

Because the cover buckles I'm not sure it's enough to support the rim and hammer/press on the axle.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I've identified one cracked magnet. I wonder how hard it is to find a replacement. Ideas?

Edited by alcatraz

The stator wasn't stuck because of the bearing. It was the damn magnetic field that was holding it in place. Damn!

I read a post about standing on the rim to remove the stator and it worked.

I found some pretty worn bearings and THREE damaged magnets. I'll replace the magnets with some strong stuff and dual component high temp glue.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

20230828-184645.jpg

20230828-184655.jpg

I found this inside. The magnets are 20x14.3x3mm. After scorouging taobao I found the same magnets. I ordered a couple, some recommended glue and new bearings. Alltogether like 7usd shipped, sweet!

I'll report back with how the repairs went and the resulting test ride.

I'm nervous about lowering the stator back into the housing. It's going to be one massive whack. I need to do it seated with my feet on the rim I believe, to reduce the impact.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I'm nervous about lowering the stator back into the housing. It's going to be one massive whack.

That reminds me of the video where ShanesPlanet was putting the motor back in his Sherman rim :lol:

I thought he was going to lose a few fingers, as did he I think

Edit: I had to go back and look again, yep still laughed out loud at that. Should be time stamped at 15min 8 Sec, and it MUST have sound on :)

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2