Unicycle won't calibrate no more...

Ratty21

Hi, after an issue with my unicycle hub wiring, I had to cut and rewire the hub to the motherboard again but after I did, it won't calibrate anymore so I can't use it.. Just a question though, my casing was laying on the ground sideways and my li'l boy has a thing for pressing the power button so would that of tricked the motherboard into thinking it's up straight so it calibrated sideways instead... Please help... 

• Gimlet featured and unfeatured this topic

Usually for the inexpensive generic models you short two wires to start the calibration. Is that the way you do yours? If not, what procedure do you use and where did you find it? Were you able to calibrate it successfully before?

17 hours ago, Ratty21 said:

Hi, after an issue with my unicycle hub wiring, I had to cut and rewire the hub to the motherboard again but after I did, it won't calibrate anymore so I can't use it.. Just a question though, my casing was laying on the ground sideways and my li'l boy has a thing for pressing the power button so would that of tricked the motherboard into thinking it's up straight so it calibrated sideways instead... Please help... 

@Ratty21 what do you actually mean by "won't calibrate"?

What symptoms is it actually displaying?

As asked above, how have you calibrated it in the past?

Answers to the above would help considerably as, at present, my gut feeling is this is may well be to do with the rewiring and nothing to do with calibration?. If you managed to reverse any two of the three wires that come from the motor you will reverse the motor. At that point it will not balance, period as everything will be trying to turn the wrong way.

To answer your question, if you attempted to calibrate it on its side, it would, quite possibly, mess up the calibration unless the software was clever enough to decide the accelerometer values were outside of tolerance. However, I see no reason why a recalibration with the wheel correctly vertical should not then work - that is why I'm suspicious of your wiring. I assume it was the 3 main drive wires that you rewired and not the sensor wires? If the sensor wires have got scrambled that would be difficult to untangle without another wheel of the same type to reference against.

I rewired it to the correct colours... All it does is beep and flashes the lights when turned on and when the lights stop flashing and stays on, it turns back off and rebeeps again as soon as you tilt it to go forward or backwards... 

@Keith @dmethvin hey guys... So I ended up buying a generic airwheel x3 only cause it was practically still new and for a good price... Anyway, I thought I might as well try testing the motherboard from the new one on the old one since they're practically the same only difference is the old motherboard is greenish blue and the new one is yellow... Anyway, when I turned it on, the unit just went ballistic and just rattled (hard to) back and forward... So the question is does that means that it's my hub motor that is faulty??? Sorry to bother yous but maybe you guys might have a better idea then I do... Thanks... 

5 hours ago, Ratty21 said:

@Keith @dmethvin hey guys... So I ended up buying a generic airwheel x3 only cause it was practically still new and for a good price... Anyway, I thought I might as well try testing the motherboard from the new one on the old one since they're practically the same only difference is the old motherboard is greenish blue and the new one is yellow... Anyway, when I turned it on, the unit just went ballistic and just rattled (hard to) back and forward... So the question is does that means that it's my hub motor that is faulty??? Sorry to bother yous but maybe you guys might have a better idea then I do... Thanks... 

Unfortunately I couldn't view you video links on an iPad so could not draw any further conclusions on your original problem.

Let's go right back to the beginning, without an explanation of why on earth you needed to rewire the motor and exactly how you did it we are just guessing. I can't think of a single reason why, in operation, that should have become necessary and it is when the problems started. The only conclusion possible is that either you rewired it wrongly or whatever damage you did to necessitate rewiring it was worst than you thought.

what you are currently describing with the new controller might  be the symptoms of only 2 of the 3 phases connected or possibly the sensor wires not connected correctly, or any of a number of things. To be honest, the risk of damaging the airwheel's controller is great enough that I would have thought you were better sticking to the wheel you now have working (or did have).

where did you cut the hub wiring, right back where it was bundles of copper wires coming out of the motor or near the controller where it would be just one thick wire for each phase? If it was the former how did you remove the insulation from the wires?

If you want to try to rebuild the old wheel a controller and hub from Banggood, Aliexpress, etc might be the best bet?

On 06/03/2016 at 2:15 PM, dmethvin said:

So does it actually *work* in the old one? Or is it just showing more signs of life?

Well  when I swapped over the motherboard, hoping that was the problem, all it did was beep continuously and the whole unit just shuttered backwards and forwards and hard also... So I'm guessing it might be the hub motor that's is the problem... 

On 05/03/2016 at 6:56 PM, Keith said:

Unfortunately I couldn't view you video links on an iPad so could not draw any further conclusions on your original problem.

Let's go right back to the beginning, without an explanation of why on earth you needed to rewire the motor and exactly how you did it we are just guessing. I can't think of a single reason why, in operation, that should have become necessary and it is when the problems started. The only conclusion possible is that either you rewired it wrongly or whatever damage you did to necessitate rewiring it was worst than you thought.

what you are currently describing with the new controller might  be the symptoms of only 2 of the 3 phases connected or possibly the sensor wires not connected correctly, or any of a number of things. To be honest, the risk of damaging the airwheel's controller is great enough that I would have thought you were better sticking to the wheel you now have working (or did have).

where did you cut the hub wiring, right back where it was bundles of copper wires coming out of the motor or near the controller where it would be just one thick wire for each phase? If it was the former how did you remove the insulation from the wires?

If you want to try to rebuild the old wheel a controller and hub from Banggood, Aliexpress, etc might be the best bet?

Let's just say I thought I was being creative with some lighting and screwed a screw into the side not even thinking about the wiring... Lol... So all I did was cut the wires where I damaged it and rewired it back colour to colour... My son kept on pressing the power button before I got to actually disconnect the power and the casing was sitting sideways on the floor so I thought he might of messed up the calibration of the unit... My new unit is still fine but I think that my old unit is alot better and even feels slightly quicker is the main reason I want to fix it... Just thought you might have an idea on it... 

Archived