Finding the cut-out point of my wheel (by helping to push a vehicle)

I was out riding the other morning when I notice a lady trying to push her boyfriend's boat of an automobile all by herself, so I rode up to help push the car on my wheel. I was surprised at how much we were able to push the vehicle with the help of my wheel, then the driver slammed his car into park which made my wheel briefly cut out and then come back on line when I stopped pushing. My wheel started balancing again when I my back kind of torqued and I stopped pushing. So I didn't crash because it was only a brief cut out. I noticed that my wheel cut out like this on one other occasion when I was just riding in circles and the wheel kind of cut out for a 100th-of-a-second and then started balancing again.

I think it's important for us to find out the cut out point on our wheels and to find out how our wheels would behave in a cut out simulation, that way we know our wheels limits and how the wheel behaves.

These cut outs you experienced pushing the vehicle were by the firmware limiting the motor current. At low speeds/standstill currents would be much to high otherwise.

@RagingGrandpacreated a topic to collect this limit: 

At higher speeds the limit (overlean) is determined by the generated voltage of the motor in relation to the battery voltage, internal battery and coil resistances and motor current.

This is described here

• Like 3

Do you think having the Ninetool installed and my wheel programmed to 56km disabled the software cut-out? I just realized that the driver popped the clutch, not slammed it into park. His vehicle was so old that I just assumed he had put it into park. I didn't expect to ever be able to push a large automobile up a slight hill and help to pop the clutch on my smallish motor on a Z10.

3 hours ago, earthtwin said:

Do you think having the Ninetool installed and my wheel programmed to 56km disabled the software cut-out?

Afaik not. It just removes the max speed tiltback.

If it removes the ~100A? current limit you should order some spare mainboards.

The mosfet should fry happily pushing cars... To give them a chance to survive the low speed current limit is in the firmware.

Best to look for some modern much stronger wheels for such tasks. Best begode as they normally have the most relaxed limits? So it should still be possible to fry some mosfets with such tasks... ;)