Full open fracture of leg at 4mph -- trying to discover cause. Could use some help thinking through possibilities.

i almost always walk my euc when crossing streets/roads now. I got bumped by a car at rolling speed (when you let go of the brake and the car inches forward). I didn't get hurt. Just knocked my euc down and i jumped off. Ever since then, I don't trust any cars now. I always wave them to pass or until I see that the driver saw me and is completely stopped.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Glock43x said:

i almost always walk my euc when crossing streets/roads now. I got bumped by a car at rolling speed (when you let go of the brake and the car inches forward). I didn't get hurt. Just knocked my euc down and i jumped off. Ever since then, I don't trust any cars now. I always wave them to pass or until I see that the driver saw me and is completely stopped.

It's a good idea to assume people don't know what they're doing. 

I position myself (when possible) so that I can't get hit. Some places are safer than othes. Like near the rear axle. Cars can't go sideways there so...  :D

Things like that. 

When I filter through traffic that crosses in front I always aim to go behind the vehicles. My only problem is when they hit the brakes and my gap didn't open.

When cycling/motorcycling and filtering it's safer to overtake cars when they're driving side by side, than when there's a gap in the next lane. The amateur rider thinks, "oh there's a gap it's safer for me" but the seasoned rider thinks "oh shit, this idiot might try to switch lanes when as I pass".

With wheels it's harder because the footrests are critical points. 

Another situation that's hard to control for new riders is when there's an upcoming choke point ahead and traffic is moving fast. It's super important to not stick to the right side (like we're told). Arm wide out like traffic police and claim the space. Car drivers are in general super ignorant with choke points.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Glock43x said:

I always wave them to pass or until I see that the driver saw me and is completely stopped.

Sadly you can’t even always trust that. I was crossing on my EUC in the crosswalk, and I made sure to make eye contact with the right hand turner while I was in the crosswalk. Wouldn’t you know, when I got within 10’ of him he pulled out right in front of me. I got to practice my emergency braking and rapid turning skills IRL.

• Confused 1

Personaly after my crash i start remembering what hapend and how more than year after crash. After crash my first memmory was after 10+ minutes and i ask my wife why i bleeding and my gear is tore and i have pain over my body.

Spoiler

Now today in 2023 i remeber every second of incident!

• Like 1

I had a very similar lower leg break riding my mountain unicycle on the slickrock trail in Moab.  I stepped off the back with my right foot and lost my hold on the unicycle seat the unicycle spun around to the outside and the pedal pins held my foot to the pedal and it snapped both bones just like your break. I didn't fall or go unconscious I just sat down with my leg mangled.

I couldn't believe how easily my leg broke like that with just the force of a 20lb unicycle.

Something similar could have resulted in your leg break, a 50 lb euc could easily have broken your leg much the same way I think.

As far as being knocked out though I don't know, perhaps the trauma of your leg break, then maybe you fell and hit your head hard enough. 

• Like 3

Have you seen Marty’s crash on YouTube? He randomly spun on his A2, claiming a balancing shutoff and it broke his foot/ankle real bad as it spun around in place.

Bummer about your crash, that’s pretty crazy. I would inspect your helmet really closely for scratches and try and make out how your head hit, for instance anything on the back or rear side by chance? 

It’s possible that you were hit from the side coming at you from your rear and the wheel spun round the back while your leg pushed over it twisting your leg and forcing over itself, if that makes sense. The wheel could have had some spin and momentum from the gyro for a few feet longer to end up further away. I’m pretty sure if you were hit by a car you’d have some soreness around your shoulder or torso, so was there pain anywhere else?

Hoping you heal up nice and fast.