InMotion V8F won't turn on(?)

Dire Trout

Hi, everybody--I'm literally brand new to EUCs. Just got my first one, a V8F, about three weeks ago, and I've been practicing a few hours a week, hoping to eventually get to the point where I can commute on this thing. Unfortunately, it seems to have died on me.

Everything was fine till this morning. I turned it on, rolled it out to the car, and drove to work. Then I went to get it out of the car again, and suddenly it won't turn on anymore: when I pressed the button, it made the start-up beep and the battery indicator lit up for a fraction of a second, and then it went out. Since then, pressing the button again has done nothing. I don't think the battery is dead, or at least it shouldn't be; I just topped it up the other day, and haven't ridden it much since then. To be sure, I just plugged in the charger a moment ago--when I did, the wheel beeped once and the battery icon lit up for another quarter-second, then went back out.

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there? If letting it charge for a few hours doesn't help, does anyone know what will?

• Like 1

Thanks, all. Yeah, I bought it new from the Inmotion store on Amazon. Was hoping to learn to ride on this one, then maybe eventually upgrade to the V12 HT. The manual it came with doesn't mention a warranty, but it's got a customer service email. If it's just a matter of changing some parts, hopefully they can send me some (and some instructions, since electronics really isn't my area)...

• Like 1

edit: Looking at the video, this seems like a real operation with soldering and stuff:shock2: contact your seller and ask them what to do!

I'm not sure if the video is about a different fuse and there's an easily accessible one??

If your seller won't help (it really is their job to help, don't let them get away!!), as I see you are in SF, there's the alienrides.com affiliated https://pev.works/ repair service, if nothing else works they can surely help you.

Feel free to make a "How to replace the fuse on a V8F?" topic here, if only to learn more. But your seller really is the first point of contact who is supposed to fix thing like this.

-

Original post:

Maybe you even have some fuses in the original box, I think there should be some there. They're just tiny parts, all you need is to find out where they go, remove the old burnt one, and plug in the new one.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inmotion+v8+fuse+replacement

First result (about the V8, not the V8F, but I assume that doesn't matter here):

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Update: I got in touch with InMotion. I sent them a video of the V8F and what it was doing (or, more precisely, what it wasn't), wondering if they might send me some parts and instructions to fix it (there weren't any in the box, btw). Instead they had me ship it back to them, and they're just going to send me a whole new one. They even offered me a discount on an (eventual) V12 purchase. So, gotta say, I'm pretty happy with them, even if I have take a little while off from learning to ride. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't know if it's the same problem but my two V8's sometimes require me to press the power button a few times before they stay on. It's been like that for years. Once they're on they stay on.

I think it's the gyro that maybe doesn't report to the control board that the wheel is upright. It seems to be worse if the wheel isn't upright, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/07/2023 at 13:34, alcatraz said:

Je ne sais pas si c'est le même problème mais mes deux V8 me demandent parfois d'appuyer plusieurs fois sur le bouton d'alimentation avant qu'ils ne restent allumés. C'est comme ça depuis des années. Une fois allumés, ils restent allumés.

Je pense que c'est le gyroscope qui ne signale peut-être pas au tableau de commande que la roue est droite. Cela semble être pire si la roue n'est pas droite, mais je peux me tromper.

I had several inmotion v8, all of them had this bug from time to time. On the other hand, on the v8f this bug never happened. I guess firmware corrects it or else it's the fact of having to keep pressing the v8f for 2 seconds to turn it on which gives the gyroscope time to initialize.