V11 - cannot unscrew negative chamber

RoCan

Hi all

Hoping someone can help.

First time trying to change tyre on V11. When unscrewing one of the negative chambers, the black rod (or is this the chamber?) beneath turns at the same time so unable to unscrew it. Tried gripping on to the rod with pliers but it’s slick so just gets shredded.

First one came off easy. Anyone experienced this? Is there a knack?

Any help greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

This is a problem that others may have as well. Could you share how you sorted out the issue?

Sure… wiggle it! 🤣

I taped up my nose pliers to try and stop them shredding the rod but this just created a slick surface which didn’t grip the rod.

I put some WD40 on the red aluminium nut but again this didn’t do much.

But by continuing to hold with the pliers and wiggle the spanner it eventually came loose.

Conclusion, remember to release the air / pressure on both negative chambers before unscrewing.

Hope this helps someone be less of a donut.

🍩 

Thanks! Good tips.

9 minutes ago, RoCan said:

Conclusion, remember to release the air / pressure on both negative chambers before unscrewing.

I’m not sure what difference that would make. After all, if the main chamber is pressurized, the pressure in the negative chamber doesn’t alter the shock’s length or non-compressed forces in any way.

Edited by mrelwood

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, RoCan said:

Hi all

Hoping someone can help.

First time trying to change tyre on V11. When unscrewing one of the negative chambers, the black rod (or is this the chamber?) beneath turns at the same time so unable to unscrew it. Tried gripping on to the rod with pliers but it’s slick so just gets shredded.

First one came off easy. Anyone experienced this? Is there a knack?

Any help greatly appreciated.

use a deep 10mm socket and impact

6 hours ago, embededfabrication said:

my shocks were seized at the bottom when it was new from the factory, nothing will unscrew them.

The shock bottom but requires a specific socket that has the teeth all the way to the edge of the socket. Do you have one of those?