Water Shoes for EUC riding

on one

Now that I have upgraded my pedals, I really love to ride barefoot because it's so comfortable and my electric unicycle and I have such nuanced control now that that my EUC is responsive to how I use my toes. I find a regular shoe to be inhibiting my command authority and my joy. So, I'm going to try out water shoes. Has anybody tried water sh961079141_watershoepedals.png.b2fbf5e6107068a8a3d6431badf53433.png

water shoes.png

Don't be jealous. Just because you can't use your toes when riding and your heal hangs over. I love my suspension pedals. They are ultra cushy.

Edited by earthtwin
more comments
  • Haha 1

Riding barefoot is most comfortable, without shoes at all. I can feel my electric unicycle and I have nuanced control. The more barriers between me and my wheel, the less aware I can be of it's state. It's just way better of a riding experience for me, and I believe it's safer too because my feet can actually feel the motor were it to stutter or cut out. But it's not really practical to ride barefoot outside of our nature trail and around my apartments. I suspect that most riders put too many barriers between their foot and the electric unicycle so they will never know the experience of making subtle inputs to the controller with a pinky toe.

• Like 1

Yes, I do appreciate the warnings. Actually this pedal isn't my end all be all. I will dispense with the wooden pedal all together very soon. I am planning on making a clay mold of my actual foot and then having the mold cast into aluminum alloy at a local metal shop. Then I will mount the aluminum casting to my pedal. I'm not sure how to mount it yet; do you have any ideas? I'd like it to be removable.

6 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

Yes, I do appreciate the warnings. Actually this pedal isn't my end all be all. I will dispense with the wooden pedal all together very soon. I am planning on making a clay mold of my actual foot and then having the mold cast into aluminum alloy at a local metal shop. Then I will mount the aluminum casting to my pedal. I'm not sure how to mount it yet; do you have any ideas? I'd like it to be removable.

Part of what I do for a living is casting body parts. You don’t use clay in the way you mentioned, nor do you cast aluminum into clay. Sand casting or lost wax process is mostly the way it’s done……… 🍿🍿👀

• Like 1

Would it be expensive to cast my feet? Perhaps I will make my pedal out of clay for now, to see if I like it. I'm going to buy some clay and craft it to the wooden pedals on my King Song 14D to see if I like it enough to pay for a metal casting. Should I buy hardening clay? Or should I buy the kind of clay that stays soft?

Edited by earthtwin
more ideas

7 hours ago, earthtwin said:

Riding barefoot is most comfortable, without shoes at all. I can feel my electric unicycle and I have nuanced control. The more barriers between me and my wheel, the less aware I can be of it's state. It's just way better of a riding experience for me, and I believe it's safer too because my feet can actually feel the motor were it to stutter or cut out. But it's not really practical to ride barefoot outside of our nature trail and around my apartments. I suspect that most riders put too many barriers between their foot and the electric unicycle so they will never know the experience of making subtle inputs to the controller with a pinky toe.

I think you have a reasonable point about the feedback but the rub is that I don't think it is worth the risk as you aren't losing enough feedback to forego a significant amount of foot/ankle protection. This probably also depends on the kind of riding done. Maybe if you're riding on a nice smooth lawn (or the like) at low speeds then yeah it sounds liberating. :D

I stubbed my toe on my wooden pedal during morning ride while trying to record. Big risk.

I stubbed my toe.png474220439_stubbedtoe.png.1b13537dd2a48f0b6ca28c423dcab3be.pngm5.png.d839e91c80fe24cd8d8c8969de4262c4.pngm4.png.3bd1d7f0fb783749b761e321345306b4.pngm3.png.70615bb5a28d95c0ab3873b8721ab5c2.pngm2.png.3551e014581d71f05adf1e55d9a4d625.pngm1.png.db5bead90427dd1535d120f9c9d74949.png

It feels like everyone is waiting for me to get injured just so they can say, "I told you so."

Edited by earthtwin
fail

22 hours ago, earthtwin said:

Would it be expensive to cast my feet? Perhaps I will make my pedal out of clay for now, to see if I like it. I'm going to buy some clay and craft it to the wooden pedals on my King Song 14D to see if I like it enough to pay for a metal casting. Should I buy hardening clay? Or should I buy the kind of clay that stays soft?

You could forego clay and casting and aluminium entirely, just get some of that polymer stuff that can be formed and hardened and put that directly on the pedals. Its not like the pedals have to transmit any mechanical forces.

But dammit I cant imagine riding like that. I feel unsafe and anxious on the wheel whenever I am not wearing my heavy, armored, calf height motorcycle boots. The only two medium serious injuries I have suffered from accidents with my wheel were both badly sprained right ankles. The first time I was wearing soft, low top sneakers and it took eight montthss to fully heal, the second time I was wearing proper (military paratrooper) boots and it took three or four days to heal.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 1