Should I buy a used KingSong 18XL, 8000km mileage

mallowmaru

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to pick up my first EUC. I don't know how to ride yet, and I will try to attend a free lesson over the weekend. I see an ad for a used KS 18XL. I noticed it's an older model (relatively), and it has quite a lot of mileage on it. I'm told it charges up to the full 84V (I will ask to verify via the app). I haven't seen age or mileage mentioned in any guides for buying used, so I am assuming the omission means they aren't important. But I just wanted to ask anyway for a little more assurance.

Here's the guide I'm referring to.

Any help on how to inspect the device also appreciated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mallowmaru said:

I see an ad for a used KS 18XL. I noticed it's an older model (relatively), and it has quite a lot of mileage on it.

Smartwheels.ca is selling the Kingsong S18 for $2300 CAD. However, at this price it comes with DIY warranty. Which means the warranty will cover parts only. The owner provides the labour.

The S18 has been out for a while now. So there aren't early batch issues to worry about. 

Re: 18XL What is the asking price? And what is the mileage on it?

Do you have prior PEV ownership experience?

18XL is great wheel. It was my first and will be my last EUC. (As it does everything i need..) You mostly need to figure what speed you wanna ride.. And do you really want EUC without suspension. (Most people choose one with suspension. EUC riding is much more different than regular bike. You will feel each small bump on road 10x time more..) I wanted to ride 35-40km/h speeds, so 18XL was pretty bang on. Also what distance you wanna go? 

Only grape i have with 18xl  - that it isn't real 18x3" wheel. 2.5" vs 3" is much bigger difference in real life. Ask your Girlfriend/Wife. :D 

I personally would not buy used EUC.. Simply by the fact you don't know what is happening under the hood.. Have wheel been water damaged.. Maybe all motor inside is rusted, if user rode in rain. Broken/Cracked shell.. To risky in my mind. 

How much is it - that's the real question. 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

The S18 has been out for a while now. So there aren't early batch issues to worry about. 

Except the suspension slider tubes and linkage binding, which to my knowledge still hasn’t been fixed.

Edited by mrelwood

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Except the suspension slider tubes and linkage binding, which to my knowledge still hasn’t been fixed.

Was that not fixed in version 2.0 with the hollow bore motor? Perhaps someone with one can comment.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, techyiam said:

Re: 18XL What is the asking price? And what is the mileage on it?

It's 8000km mileage, and they're asking $1200CAD. The owner allegedly bought it off his friend who upgraded. The owner also doesn't have very much experience in EUCs.

17 minutes ago, mallowmaru said:

It's 8000km mileage, and they're asking $1200CAD. The owner allegedly bought it off his friend who upgraded. The owner also doesn't have very much experience in EUCs.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, unless you have a lot of knowledge and experience, or know someone who does.

When I was learning, there were so many things that I wasn't sure was normal or not. It would be a nightmare if I had to contend with a wheel which may be operating normally, or maybe not. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2