Drags, Dos, and Don’ts of Riding Against The Wimd

Ethereal

I don't think there are enough videos that share the dangers of wind. I almost crashed while learning because of the wind but as I gained more experience it has become easier to deal with. And I don't ride my EUC if they wind is Gusting faster than my EUC can go because I don't want to risk a cut out

8 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Pretty sure @Forwardnbak said that wind wasn't a factor when he hit the wall. He said it wasn't even windy that day.

There was enough wind that day to cause some drag for sure, especially now I’ve rolled the V13 longer, it plays different with the weight at speed.

I think THAT DAY the selfi stick/drag/me/tyre all made up the recipe for my wallee. 

I spent quite a lot of yesterday trying to resist being blown into foliage and other exciting hazards either side of the ride path, and the cross-wind was only gusting 27 kph. I didn't realise before it arrived quite how susceptible the Master would be to such things, and in such relatively low amounts of it, but I sure as hell learned quickly ! In fact, if I want to have a 'speedy day', where I can top 50 kph without feeling sketchy, I have to wait for a day with less than 15 kph wind in it !

It still annoys me a bit that the ONLY sure-fire way I have found to regain stability and that grounded feeling is to slow right down in the worst bits, and get down as low as you can, though not so low you are seated, as I find I need my superior 'standing skills' to adequately lean into it, and to do ultra quick corrections as it appears and passes...

Edited by Cerbera

17 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

There was enough wind that day to cause some drag for sure, especially now I’ve rolled the V13 longer

Fair enough, i was just going by the exchange we had about the incident and in the video there doesn't look like much wind either, but you were there.

• 2 months later...

I discovered the difficulties of cross-winds the other day when I was out on a ride with my wife. Fortunately I was on a back road with no cars. The wind kicked up, but it wasn't very strong, so I didn't expect the "sail effect" that my V11 incurred. At first I wasn't sure what was happening since I am a newbie. I figured it out pretty quick, and slowed down, but I almost hit the curb as the road curved to the left, and I found myself unable to turn left very well at all.

We get really strong winds fairly often in my area, so I was glad to learn this lesson on a back road, and on a mildly windy day. I will definitely have more respect for wind in the future, and plan for its effect. Seated riding just made it to the top of my list of skills to learn next.

On 9/3/2023 at 8:41 PM, skunkmonkey said:

I discovered the difficulties of cross-winds the other day when I was out on a ride with my wife. Fortunately I was on a back road with no cars. The wind kicked up, but it wasn't very strong, so I didn't expect the "sail effect" that my V11 incurred. At first I wasn't sure what was happening since I am a newbie. I figured it out pretty quick, and slowed down, but I almost hit the curb as the road curved to the left, and I found myself unable to turn left very well at all.

We get really strong winds fairly often in my area, so I was glad to learn this lesson on a back road, and on a mildly windy day. I will definitely have more respect for wind in the future, and plan for its effect. Seated riding just made it to the top of my list of skills to learn next.

Glad to hear you were able to avoid crashing. Seated riding will certainly make wind maneuvering more manageable. 
Please check  out my video on learning seated riding. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 4:08 AM, 2disbetter said:

The weight of the V13 and the inertia just kind of cut through wind easier. Yet another reason why bigger and heavier wheels are ultimately safer. 

It seems to me as well that mass/inertia must make a significant difference in how wind is perceived...

I've ridden through some mighty heavy winds a few times so far (headwinds, crosswinds, tailwinds, late-night rides with constant heavy-gusts, etc.) at speeds of up to ~35mph; while head/cross winds in particular were very noticeable at times and required a bit of speed reduction (including some headwinds strong/steady enough to slow me down significantly just by wind-pressure alone), none of it made me feel a loss of control.

I found it to require additional concentration, but beyond that, just another environmental condition to get comfortable with...