New tutorial for learning to ride an EUC

360rumors

Great tutorial! I think you approach many aspects better than most tutorials I’ve seen. Extra points for the foot positioning front to back, since most don’t even say anything about it. And the ones that do target a position too far back, which I’ve seen being an obstacle for learning further.

There are a few aspects in your video I’m not so sure about though. Hugging the wheel tightly encourages for squeezing the wheel for stability, which I don’t think is beneficial for learning. It also largely disturbs tilt-turning, which I think should be the main method for turning at low speeds.

I understand that you decided to cut the video short, probably to go through the rest of the steps one-on-one. Since this is a global forum though, most viewers aren’t able to take advantage of your offer. I don’t think it would rub you any customers though if you would’ve gone through the rest of the mounting, dismounting, steering, etc. But it would’ve definitely made this a comprehensive learning guide that would’ve been easy to recommend to beginners all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Great tutorial! I think you approach many aspects better than most tutorials I’ve seen. Extra points for the foot positioning front to back, since most don’t even say anything about it. And the ones that do target a position too far back, which I’ve seen being an obstacle for learning further.

There are a few aspects in your video I’m not so sure about though. Hugging the wheel tightly encourages for squeezing the wheel for stability, which I don’t think is beneficial for learning. It also largely disturbs tilt-turning, which I think should be the main method for turning at low speeds.

I understand that you decided to cut the video short, probably to go through the rest of the steps one-on-one. Since this is a global forum though, most viewers aren’t able to take advantage of your offer. I don’t think it would rub you any customers though if you would’ve gone through the rest of the mounting, dismounting, steering, etc. But it would’ve definitely made this a comprehensive learning guide that would’ve been easy to recommend to beginners all over the world.

Thank you sir!  I really appreciate the feedback!  Re hugging the wheel, I was thinking of teaching the absolute simplest methods with the highest probability of success.  So for example, grabbing the wheel and then hopping off with both feet is something we don't do when we stop.  But for beginners, it's the easiest way I've found to teach them to stop safely.  Similarly, with hugging the wheel with their foot, it's the easiest way I found to teach people to ride, even though it's not the normal way to ride.  Eventually they learn to move their feet around on their own.  I wanted to add a note about that, but I didn't want it to get too boring or confusing.

As for cutting the tutorial short, I'm sorry about that.  Honestly, my intent is not to funnel people to do 1-on-1 lessons (TBH, I doubt many people would be able to do that).  Rather, I didn't want the video to get too long, so I only covered the most basic parts (to improve audience retention).  This is similar to the approach I've seen with EUCO's and Kuji Rolls' tutorials (iirc, neither of them teach free mounting, or steering either etc.).  I hope to make another follow up tutorial that covers these other techniques!

Best regards,

Mic

Edited by 360rumors
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Kamber said:

As a new rider learning for the first time, this is super helpful. Thank you!

I'm glad you found it helpful.  Thanks also for taking time to give feedback, which helps me understand what people like!

On 5/28/2023 at 10:44 AM, mrelwood said:

tilt-turning, which I think should be the main method for turning at low speeds.

For lower speeds, using extended arms for balance (twisting an EUC, is fairly common and is often taught for pedaled unicycles). However, usually the goal to learn to ride EUC is to ride fast enough that an EUC becomes stable if riding in a straight line, where balance corrections are no longer needed, and tilt steering makes more sense for a beginner. One of the few how to ride EUC videos showing the progress of an actual beginner is Kuji Roll's video of a girl learning to ride on a V8. I set the link to where does her first successful attempts of a short ride after about 50 minutes. In the video, Kuji mentions pressing with inside toe to turn, but this could accelerate an EUC, and it would be better to just state tilt the EUC (inner foot down, outer foot up). The girl uses extended arms for balance at first (attempting speed bump too soon), but at 8:06 into the video, she is going fast enough for the V8 to become stable, relaxes her arms, and tilts the V8 to steer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6o8ZMlo5ko&t=410s

Edited by rcgldr

On 5/28/2023 at 8:40 AM, 360rumors said:

Here's a new tutorial I made for learning how to ride an EUC

A larger area would be helpful, like this outdoor parking lot with over 550 feet between trash bin enclosures, which allowe me to ride at 8 to 10 mph in a straight line for 40 to 45 seconds, giving me plenty of time to experiment | learn tilt steering.

https://rcgldr.net/euc/euc_pklt.jpg

Edited by rcgldr