Does anyone use power stations for longer rides?

11 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Just like the title says. I ride a KS16x and want to go on some longer trails and stop maybe have lunch and was wondering if what everybody else use to charge their wheels on longer rides

Screenshot_20230519-203129.png

if you want something to charge your 16X, aka portable power bank, this power bank must be at least just as heavy in weight as the onboard batteries = about 6kg + the electronics to carry in a backpack. Cables, food, water... you end up with a backpack at +10 kg .. idk 🤔

• Like 1

The issue with that is that the 300w potable power station would only run your charger for about 45 minutes @2.5A around 240w. Assuming that was what you were planning on doing. It would not support any faster charger because it has a max watt output of 330w. Anything higher than that would damage the unit. Unless OFC you strapped a large solar panel to your back, then you could recharge the power station in 6-8 hours in the sun and get another 45 min charging out of it. I think the best option to extend your range is to add an additional battery to your existing wheel and carry it in your backpack and tether it to your wheel like some have done.

I use a Goal Zero 6000x power station to charge my wheels. It can charge my KS18XL from 0% battery about 3 times. Most of the time, when the wheel is not down to 0%, only 50% used, then Goal Zero can charge 4 times. After my Goal Zero battery is down, I can use either my truck alternator or a generator to recharge it. Pretty good setup! 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:12 AM, Robse said:

if you want something to charge your 16X, aka portable power bank, this power bank must be at least just as heavy in weight as the onboard batteries = about 6kg + the electronics to carry in a backpack. Cables, food, water... you end up with a backpack at +10 kg .. idk 🤔

I was at 270 lbs while learning. Now I'm down to 200 lbs. So it's doable

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 4:33 AM, onewheelkoregro said:

was wondering if what everybody else use to charge their wheels on longer rides

Quick charger and regular power outlet. Unless you're going for a ride in a complete wilderness, it should be not a big problem to find a power outlet (restaurants, gas stations, shopping malls, railway stations, public toilets, other public buildings etc.).

• Upvote 2