inmotion v5f axle/bearing issue

redsnapper

I have been hearing what sounds like bearing related noise in my v5f and I finally took some time to look this over - while riding there is distinct rubbing noise - not loud but clearly not normal. This is not apparent when no weight on the wheel. But when you apply pressure to the axle there is definite play. I assume wheel bearing but I cannot even find bearings for the v5 online. Anyone have an idea on whether this is bearing related (or some other axle related issue) and what the process for remedy is?

It could be a broken axle too. Hopefully not, in which case you need new bearings. 

Try to get the pedal hangers off and check out the seals. Bearing problems often start with leaky seals. There could be obvious corrosion signs on the outside etc.

thx @alcatraz - there is a good thread on broken axle weld repair - I pray I dont have to do that but this is a wheel with light mileage so I fear it will not be bearing but rather by the axle weld :-(

Also a good vid on bearing replace -  

I will get the hangers and motor cover off to assess... Happy I have 2 v5f so I can hop on my backup for my runs to grocery store. z10 is a beast to lift in/out of cart and was giving me tennis elbow! 

15 hours ago, redsnapper said:

I have been hearing what sounds like bearing related noise in my v5f and I finally took some time to look this over - while riding there is distinct rubbing noise - not loud but clearly not normal. This is not apparent when no weight on the wheel. But when you apply pressure to the axle there is definite play. I assume wheel bearing but I cannot even find bearings for the v5 online. Anyone have an idea on whether this is bearing related (or some other axle related issue) and what the process for remedy is?

Sounds like bearing to me at least..

Broken welds would have that feeling like motor slipping 0.5mm forwards/backwards, when changing riding direction. (Also it would make that tug/cluck sound as motor slips and hits other end of axle "key" grove. Each time you change riding direction.) -At least mine 18xl did that. As i had broken welds..

You could even feel all EUC body moving forwards/backwards, when applying force forwards/backwards as breaking with hands. (Yanking EUC 1-2 feet forwards/backwards on ground.)

Edited by Funky

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

warning - once rim caps bk on i left this in a pile in my grg - today i had the door open while mowing lawn and as i finished up i noticed rim lying in the sun. it occured to me that heat causes demagnetization and when i chkd the motor cover/rim, it was hot to the touch!!!! i hope has not affected magnets :-(

ABCA44ED-B3C1-4E9C-B140-29E6D69B2508.jpeg

I would have put in some grease "under the bearings" inside the grove where bearings sit.. So no water could get past them.

Also before closing the motor covers.. Put some small silicone bead around the edge, so no water can get in the motor.

(Pro tip - if you grease motor side little bit, so the metal surface is "oily" and put silicone on motor cover themselves. The silicone will not stick so strongly.. Meaning you can open motor next time pretty easy, jet have waterproof motor.)

Example: my bearing change + waterproofing post.

Edited by Funky