Suspension wheels and pedal height

Say I want a wheel with a nice suspension but I don't want my feet to be too high from the ground, how do they compare? Has s22 the lowest pedals? The T4? I don't even know which has adjustable height and how much I lose in the effectiveness of the suspension if I place the pedals at the lowest option... could you clear it up for me? 

Edited by Rotan

2 hours ago, Aztek said:

S18 should be the one with lowest pedals.

Eh, I really like that wheel, maybe the molicel version... just not the best bang for the buck but I give it a thought every now and then. 

What's the next lowest? 

Reducing pedal height almost by definition reduced suspension travel, and thus suspension effectiveness. That is part of why I love the Hero with DNM shock mod. It has just enough suspension to smooth things out a little, but you are still low enough and have enough road vibration to feel "connected" with the ride. 

Heros are also reasonably water resistant, well built, and quick. They are not in demand and can be had pretty cheap used. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 1:22 AM, Rotan said:

Say I want a wheel with a nice suspension but I don't want my feet to be too high from the ground

All suspension wheels have the pedals higher up than any of the non-suspension wheels, and practically all riders seem to get used to the higher pedals quickly enough. I wouldn’t worry about it, and definitely wouldn’t let it affect the purchase decision. There are much more important differences in suspension wheels to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

All suspension wheels have the pedals higher up than any of the non-suspension wheels, and practically all riders seem to get used to the higher pedals quickly enough. I wouldn’t worry about it, and definitely wouldn’t let it affect the purchase decision. There are much more important differences in suspension wheels to worry about.

I have gotten used to the Sherman-S pedal height, but I still don't like it. It is uncomfortable to stand with one foot down at a stoplight at my height (5'7"). The slightly lower pedals of the S22 help a lot in this scenario. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

You are right, I'm just very tall already😅

I never went close to use all the battery of my MSP ht in one go so any more then that is just overkill, even top speed is plenty already, what I look for in my next wheel is just not losing anything of what my MSP ht does but adding a great suspension, good quality and safety (not that my MSP ever let me down, it's been always great but all the bad talks are still concerning)...and the lowest pedals i can get relatively to the new suspension wheels, I like to feel stable and to not look huge like a dinosaur 

Edited by Rotan

@Rotan I’m 6 feet tall and regularly ride a suspension wheel. IMO you’re overthinking it. It’s easily worth the minor difference in pedal hight. One of the added benefits is a tighter tuning radius. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rotan said:

I like to feel stable and to not look huge like a dinosaur 

Don't get a Master then, which is the highest of the high, and very tippy initially, but all the others will probably be fine...

Personally I have grown to love the height I am on that thing - better visibility too. However, I understand the trepidation - at the top of a long downhill, with the terrain dropping away in front of me, I feel waaaaaaay up high, and that never entirely stops being slightly disconcerting ! But it's also quite exciting, so horses for courses hey ?

I would echo what everyone else has said - certainly don't let pedal height put you off suspension, which, for most people, is 'once tried never go back' kinda thing. When I remember how my knees to used to ache, and my back used to constantly grumble at me... none of that now the suspension age has got here ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1