Knee protection: Brace vs Guards

New rider here waiting on my EUC to arrive and looking to make sure I'm starting from day 1 with the appropriate protective gear.

Wanted to see if anyone in the EUC community had any thoughts on the use of a knee brace vs knee guards/pads?

I see that the Leatt dual axis knee/shin guards are a go-to staple for many. Does anyone have any experience using single or dual hinged knee braces that could speak to whether they are more or less intrusive/limiting for controlling an EUC - do the hinges get in the way any more so than something like the Leatt dual axis guards? Cost isn't a factor as I personally prioritize/highly value protection.

Thanks for your input! 

Edited by Kamber
  • Like 2

This is not for beginners and not for normal commuting in cities, it's  more for enthusiasts on rough terrain, but i can recommend: https://rxrprotect.com/en/accueil/20-x-crossed.html

For me these are lightweight enough and adjustable for my needs - a little bit time consuming to puton for a short ride - but no pain or overflexing when having a crash.

I think it's worth to change these velcro strips with some motorcycle helmet speed clips what I have planned but not have done, yet.

It worked on several crashes for me since I had two times cruciate ligament injury one knee and then on the other one with 'normal' moto knee guards.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What did you end up going with? I am in a similar situation that you were in back in April! Also I was considering motorcycling pants/overpants with the crash pads but they do seem like less protection than the dedicated knee guards and braces.

1 hour ago, ssup2406 said:

What did you end up going with? I am in a similar situation that you were in back in April! Also I was considering motorcycling pants/overpants with the crash pads but they do seem like less protection than the dedicated knee guards and braces.

Go with the Leatt dual axis knee/shin guards :eff034a94a:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I wouldn’t waste your time on the leatt dual axis they are glorified hockey shinguards. The attachment/straps are horrible. You’ll end up crossing the lower and mid or drilling and making a new attachment point btw the pin for the knee and the mid strap hole. 

Only reason they are popular on EUC’s is because they are cheap compared to some of the others. They do provide protection, but you literally getting a glorified hockey shin guard, nothing more .

If I was you, I’d be looking into a knee brace/knee guard combo. More expensive but it will support the knee. Keep in mind, that there been studies that wearing to much protective gear l can also cause additional injuries that would never have occurred. Usually because one will ride harder as they have a false sense of security. 

56 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

The attachment/straps are horrible

That's actually the favourite thing for me about the dual axis, they are easy to put on and even easier to adjust. I haven't had the any of the issues you've described in the past year and a half I've been using them so YMMV.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDINPHX said:

Only reason they are popular on EUC’s is because they are cheap compared to some of the others. They do provide protection, but you literally getting a glorified hockey shin guard, nothing more .

I wouldn't say it's the only reason, though it probably is one. They are without doubt the most cost effective protection in the Leatt range. But I'd say the main reason almost everyone likes them is because they provide a decent level of impact protection and slide very easily over asphalt. I like 'em personally, and find the straps are fine in standard position (over MC trousers), and quick and convenient to fit and remove because of the quick clips...

I'm always kneeling down on them to take photos on various horrible stony / woody / thorny surfaces, and, although they get scuffed up, that plastic is tough as hell, and mine keeps my knees and shins very comfortable ! I should add I have never had a high speed crash in mine, but I am confident they are not going to slip / only going to help if I do. In the few 'unintentional dismounts' I have had out on forest trails, where the wheel has twisted out from under me they have saved my shins from pedal hits a few times, and each time done so fully effectively.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I'm always kneeling down on them to take photos on various horrible stony / woody / thorny surfaces, and, although they get scuffed up, that plastic is tough as hell, and mine keeps my knees and shins very comfortable ! I should add I have never had a high speed crash in mine, but I am confident they are not going to slip if I do.

I'm not sure if 45km/h (28mph) is considered high speed but when I crashed at that speed the pads did their job and helped me slide across the asphalt.  The pads got scratched up but they still work.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The few posts I've seen on braces complain about taking too long to put on properly, which would be a deal breaker for me for a quick ride around. I don't think they're going to do any better for hitting the pavement and sliding compared to guards, it's more of helping by limiting range of motion in a worst case scenario where your legs get bent in a way they shouldn't.

Edited by chanman

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

That's actually the favourite thing for me about the dual axis, they are easy to put on and even easier to adjust. I haven't had the any of the issues you've described in the past year and a half I've been using them so YMMV.

Definitely YMMV with them.

My issue is I come from an athletic background (rugby, soccer, power lifting, hiking, etc) I have rather large legs from those sports from years of weight bearing activities. Same issue I had in MTB, but it was worse there as you're more active.  This results in none of the pads working as the strap are not intended for use with people with muscular legs, I know I am not the only person with this issue, there are lots of videos out there of people modifying these braces to fit better as the strap system is horrible and a lot of them are tiny people with the same issue.  

Them being cheap, yes it is the major reason they are chosen, but they work. However there are better options out there, issue is that they are more difficult to put on and it becomes a chore to get ready. So there are trade off's with the gear.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CDINPHX said:

Definitely YMMV with them.

My issue is I come from an athletic background (rugby, soccer, power lifting, hiking, etc) I have rather large legs from those sports from years of weight bearing activities. Same issue I had in MTB, but it was worse there as you're more active.  This results in none of the pads working as the strap are not intended for use with people with muscular legs, I know I am not the only person with this issue, there are lots of videos out there of people modifying these braces to fit better as the strap system is horrible and a lot of them are tiny people with the same issue.  

Them being cheap, yes it is the major reason they are chosen, but they work. However there are better options out there, issue is that they are more difficult to put on and it becomes a chore to get ready. So there are trade off's with the gear.  

Care to share some examples of the options you consider to be better out there? Thanks!

Walk into any dirt bike/motorcycle shop, the dual Axis are rated by most if not all as a entry level pad. Not that it is an issue they work, I never said they didn’t they don’t work for me and I honestly don’t hold a lot of confidence in them protecting my knee’s from anything other then a slide.  

If you want specific examples, well that’s tough as it’s different for everyone based on fit. Personally I’d go for more of a brace with knee protection, reason being is because of the mechanism of injuries on these wheels  I can foresee a lot of impact/twisting motions on trail rides.  

the following video has great examples of knee braces/guards which will work with impacts, slides and twisting options. The dual axis is more geared to sliding on asphalt and light impacts. Of the ones mentioned in the video I’d go with the mobius x8 or leatt xframe The ability to adjust fit for the knee width, better attachment and they are both highly rated.and having had many in my hands here.m and tried them on, the strap system is a lot better. Granted these come with a price tag as well  

The reason I’d go for something like that is I’ve torn my acl/pcl /partial mcl  all at once and have had it repaired and I’d suggest nobody experience that in their life if they can help it. Sadly I’m  likely due for another knee surgery as I’m not easy on myself, and that’s to address what we believe is a bucket handle tear of my meniscus and remove some scar tissue that has formed. 

• 3 months later...

I just upgraded from knee pads to these, and I think they are pretty good.
I keep my knee stuff on during my train ride, so I was worried these would not be comfortable or bend during my ride, but they are 110% comfortable and bend just fine. The knee area specifically has what looks like 2 layers of padding from the flex joint.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MCMWDBJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 1

I had the Scoyoco pads originally, but I found the clasps too thin and sharp for my liking. They hurt to put on and take off. I switched to the Leatt dual axis and haven't gone back. They've held up great in a full speed crash on my V11. I took zero damage to my knees or legs. The clasps are heavier duty, and don't hurt my fingers. If I was crazy enough to ride at 50+mph I might consider beefier options, but for sane speeds the Leatt dual axis will do great, and it's not terribly expensive.

1 minute ago, skunkmonkey said:

but for sane speeds the Leatt dual axis will do great, and it's not terribly expensive.

+1 on that. Leatts have done just fine in any altercations with asphalt and large metal boxes I have encountered, and they are very comfy and easy to put on / take off.

I kinda like the cyber look of some the higher end braces, but until my Leatts fail I'm not in the market and don't feel I need the upgrade...

• Like 2