How exactly do you update the firmware on an EUC?

BKW

How do you update the version, or "firmware", of the EUC you are using? Is it just through the company's app? Or do you have to do something special like connect it to the wheel, then do something special with the wheel while also using the app?

Like, I've seen Hsiang's video where he is trying to update the firmware on his mten4 and bricked it. But obviously in that specific case he didn't just use the app, but he also had to do something with the wheel at the same time?

Just not sure how it's supposed to happen...

Edited by BKW

For the 16X, you must use either the KingSong app or EUC world (there is a third option, but I don't advise using it because it lets you do terrible tings to your wheel). In the "device" or "wheel" section there is an option to select firmware upgrade, tap that an it'll check if there's a KS recommended upgrade for your wheel. Follow the instructions carefully, some do advise that you turn cellular off so the upgrade doesn't get interrupted by a text or phone call.

The app has to go through the great firewall to get the firmware image so sometimes it won't work. Keep trying, KS wheels are pretty much 'unbrickable'. This is not the case for Begode wheels, they're kind of new to the over-the-air firmware update game and Masters get bricked pretty regularly (they can be recovered, but recovery will try your patience). LK doesn't have a LeaperKim app, you have to use an Android .apk that was translated by a community member.

Before (potentially) breaking something that isn't broken, check around and be certain the benefits of the new firmware are worth the potential downsides! If you like how your wheel is today, do you really need to fix it?

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

For the 16X, you must use either the KingSong app or EUC world (there is a third option, but I don't advise using it because it lets you do terrible tings to your wheel). In the "device" or "wheel" section there is an option to select firmware upgrade, tap that an it'll check if there's a KS recommended upgrade for your wheel. Follow the instructions carefully, some do advise that you turn cellular off so the upgrade doesn't get interrupted by a text or phone call.

The app has to go through the great firewall to get the firmware image so sometimes it won't work. Keep trying, KS wheels are pretty much 'unbrickable'. This is not the case for Begode wheels, they're kind of new to the over-the-air firmware update game and Masters get bricked pretty regularly (they can be recovered, but recovery will try your patience). LK doesn't have a LeaperKim app, you have to use an Android .apk that was translated by a community member.

Before (potentially) breaking something that isn't broken, check around and be certain the benefits of the new firmware are worth the potential downsides! If you like how your wheel is today, do you really need to fix it?

Thank you for this. Yes, I recently checked the KS16X via the app and it said everything is already updated with that wheel. My SherMax, I think it does need an update because I still get the negative mileage thing and then it reset the mileage back to 0 around 2K or so. I think I saw the thread here in the forums about the update with the warning of possibility of bricking your wheel, Honestly, the LK firmware update I saw in that specific post seemed complicated and I didn't want to mess with it. The SherMax rides fine, but it'd be nice to have the mileage display as it should; although, I can see the total mileage in EUC World.

For reference, my SherMax says version 1.1.2 on EUC World...what is the latest version?

Edited by BKW

My brother is a computer tweb, and he always teases me about doing the updates on my phone.  Best way to make a device a bookend is doing a “update “. Security issues be damned,  might be as secure staying un updated. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BKW said:

For reference, my SherMax says version 1.1.2 on EUC World...what is the latest version?

Open EUC World, connect your Sherman Max and select "Wheel" from the app menu. Scroll down to "Firmware update" and tap on it. You'll get info about firmware update(s) available for your wheel. If you want, you can also update your Sherman with EUC World - it's very easy. The only requirement is that the wheel have to be tilted forward/backward by at least 45 degrees. Basically you have to turn the wheel off, lay it on its front or rear then turn on. But if wrong mileage display is something you can live with, staying with current firmware isn't a bad idea. If it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 8:28 AM, Seba said:

Open EUC World, connect your Sherman Max and select "Wheel" from the app menu. Scroll down to "Firmware update" and tap on it. You'll get info about firmware update(s) available for your wheel. If you want, you can also update your Sherman with EUC World - it's very easy. The only requirement is that the wheel have to be tilted forward/backward by at least 45 degrees. Basically you have to turn the wheel off, lay it on its front or rear then turn on. But if wrong mileage display is something you can live with, staying with current firmware isn't a bad idea. If it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

I have to say, wow! I updated it via the EUC World a day ago and the low-end torque is much more responsive! Also, the negative mileage counter on the screen of the Sherman is gone and I can finally see my overall mileage.

The wheel feels much stronger on the low end now! Thanks! With nearly 7K on the mileage before I did the update, there is a very noticeable difference!

Edited by BKW