Sticky Sherman S suspension

supercurio

3 hours ago, wstuart said:

Yes!!!! I know exactly what you are talking about.   I can think of 3 instances where the wheel was going hard to the right and I had to do a full lean left turn to keep it going straight.  I've never had a wheel do this before on the wind.  

Things to note - this always occurred in strong gusty wind situations.  - it always resulted in my wheel going to the right.

I would like to say it was just the wind causing it but the problem is that it's inconsistent.  There are times when I get hit by strong winds and the wheel doesn't get "blown off the road".  I wondered if maybe it was a combination of wind and train-tracking from the tire.

Here are 2 things I've done that have seemed to help.

1. I removed the Suron seat from the wheel.  I think this was acting as a sail and catching wind that would tip the wheel over.  After removing it I experienced less movement of the wheel in wind and more stability overall.

2.  I switched from hard mode to medium mode today.  This COMPLETELY TRANSFORMED THE WHEEL!  In hard mode I was having to full press against my pads to maintain high speeds.  I think this extreme front lean/pressure in combination with wind gusts was generating the high-speed instability.  In medium mode I don't need to even have my shin touching the pad to cruise at high-speed.  I've only done 10 miles testing with this, but it seemed like wind gusts had MUCH less effect on the wheel in medium mode.  If you are in hard mode, try medium.  

I have experienced the same thing, its completely inconsistent. Sometimes I will be riding in very windy conditions without issue, other times the wind is so light that I cant even see trees moving and I get shoved off to one side. The worst times I almost went into the bike lane divider and a parked car. I ride in medium mode only as I found it to be very comfortable compared to hard. Soft is fun to play with too. Im sure its a combination of rider error and getting used to a new wheel, hell maybe its more likely to happen when we are fatigued and our form/technique is suffering, giving us less stability of the wheel.

• Like 1