How do you maintain the shock?

Waulnut

As title states, how do you maintain your shock?

I currently own a T4 with ~200 miles on it. I want to get some insight on how others clean and maintain their shock since this is my first time with suspension and I have no idea how to keep it in good condition. 

What are best practices? Are there any particular products you use that works well? What do you do? 

I'd like to know that too. I have a similar distance on my Master and have done 'no practice at all' at keeping it clean other than wiping it off with a dry cloth after a particularly wet ride. No unusual noises from it so far.

Keep the area around the "moving" parts somewhat clean. And you will be fine. Adding DRY lube on the shinny cylinders/moving parts would be welcomed.

You could simply do nothing, ignore all dirt, etc.. But that way you will need to repair/exchange things faster. Also suspension will start to feel clunky.

If you go off-roading and it gets full of mud - ofc it needs a cleaning. Simple street riding - it shouldn't get dirty fast..

Some kind big/long brush that could go in between things would do the needed job. 2-5 min in/out motion and done. Afterwards adding little DRY lube.

51eX1JVIGFL.jpg

Another minus in having suspension - you need to baby it somewhat. If you wanna extend it's life. On non-suspension wheels you don't need to do anything. :thumbup:

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Funky said:

Another minus in having suspension - you need to baby it somewhat. If you wanna extend it's life. On non-suspension wheels you don't need to do anything.

I don't mind babying it and I do appreciate its relatively easy to fix since the wheels are shell-less so it is less daunting than a V12 that I board swapped. But suspension is very nice quality of life change. I feel the minor inconvenience of cleaning it occasionally is little compared to riding comfort. 

Any recommended dry lube? I assume spray it all on the parts to get the dust/grime off? 

6 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

Any recommended dry lube? I assume spray it all on the parts to get the dust/grime off? 

I personally haven't been need of it.. No, not for cleaning - so the moving parts "work" better. You put it on cleaned surface.

Same thing as greasing things up.. But it's DRY. Less metal on metal action and so on. It will not wear itself out so quickly, by using it.

Suspension will work better and so on.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 2

I've only put 1000 miles on my S18 shock (1600 total) but I just wipe the shiny shaft off with a microfiber cloth. No additional lube. Stanchions get stanchion lube (finish line) every now and again. All seems to be fine.

"They" say the shock will need rebuilding every now and again to replace seals, so far mine is holding pressure flawlessly so I'm not going to fix what ain't broken! The BG suspension seems to need a lot more pressure than the S18 does, so its shock may require service earlier but who knows?

Edited by Tawpie

If i ever will get a suspension wheel. I will look for one that doesn't need air refilling. And don't have the back "tail" moving parts.

Something like Sherman-S type. But sadly nothing "small" is yet built.. Let's hope 2023 brings something actually good for once.

I don't wanna work on my wheel. If i don't need to. Most i have done were bearings change/greasing, tire change and siliconing motor shut, so no water gets inside.   -Which was a must for my needs, not just for fun..

Edited by Funky

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

I will look for one that doesn't need air refilling

Oil shocks also require periodic rebuilding, they have seals as well. If you put a "shock sock" over everything it'll stay cleaner, it's grit that usually kills the seals. There is a 3D printed design for the Master that probably fits T4, or you can just break out the Visa card.

20 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Oil shocks also require periodic rebuilding, they have seals as well. If you put a "shock sock" over everything it'll stay cleaner, it's grit that usually kills the seals. There is a 3D printed design for the Master that probably fits T4, or you can just break out the Visa card.

Meh - better no suspension at all then. (For me..)

Add a ducking big spring around said cylinders. And be done. No maintenance needed whatsoever. :D All dirt, etc would fall out of suspension, because springs move.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1