Upgrading from KingSong 16X to...

Didnt think I would be upgrading, or at least browsing for other wheels after only owning my KS 16X for 2 years. I do love the 16X, the convenience with it being easy to throw in the trunk of my car due to its compact size with relative low weight, how easy it is to trolley around when I go to the store, and how nimble it is when zipping around city riding (i never go on long day trips or anything, so I dont need a huge wheel with massive batteries).
The only thing that bugs me now.............is the top speed. I think its the only thing im a bit annoyed with. I am no speed demon, but I do find myself wanting to cruise just a liiiiittle bit more than 40-45 km/h which I do now, but still have an okey safety margin (!). 45 is when the first beep kicks in, and I dont want to push any more due to risk of cut out (my weight is around 190), nor listen to that constant beep. If the 16X had a top speed of 60, I would keep it, for sure.

So, what wheels have I been looking at (mostly 16 inch):

- InMotion V12, both HS and HT. I think it looks great, its weather proof (which is fantastic) more or less the same torque as 16X ive heard, but best of all more speed. Even the HT at 60 top speed is great, not sure I need the HS version that goes 70, but rather have the HT for the new rim and all the minor upgrades compared to the HS. 

- Begode T4, same top speed of 60, and added suspension. Its a bit more bulky due to the suspension, but I can definitely live with that, seeing as suspension must feel very comfortable in general, even though there are a bit more parts for maintenance. 

- 100v Nikola Plus, which I think looks really sleek, and seems to have the same handling as the KS16X but with better top speed :) Looks to be a wheel to easily and safely cruise at 55-60 km/h, even with my weight. Its an 'older' wheel, so im not sure if I should wait for new releases of wheels, though it seems there are no new 16 inch fitting my preferences coming any time soon, and even if there were, it would be version 1´s with potential bugs and all that. Benefit of older wheels is that most, if not all bugs are sorted by now (?). The Nikola Plus got really good feedback when it came out, and it would still be the same wheel today, even though its around 3+ years old. 
Ive heard the weather proofing isnt too bad on the Nik either, can anyone confirm? That said, I do ride my 16X in rain, even heavy rain, but I use a back pack rain cover like a shower cap over it, and it fits really well. Ofc there will be water spray under the wheel, but I havnt had any issues in these two years of riding in rain like that. It rains way more then its sunny here in Scandinavia, so yeah....gotta ride in rain.

Anyone here in similar situation as me, and have any tips or suggestions? Im leaning most towards the Nikola tbh, AND theres one for sale here atm, hes asking $1500, 1 year old, ridden 2700 km.  

Thank you for reading my little novel, and I appreciate any feedback :) 

“Only” two years?? Maybe you haven’t read the forum much, but around here with us enthusiasts two years is a pretty long time to own a wheel! :lol:

V12 is clearly the first contender, I agree.

T4 with its motor, suspension slack, etc issues doesn’t seem like a good move atm. It also doesn’t have allthat much more free spin speed, so you’d be just cutting away from the safety margin. V11 has the same free spin speed, and it’s capped at 55km/h. Any faster than that on the T4 would not be safe by Inmotion’s standards.

Nikola, while having the same tire size, behaves a good bit differently to the 16X due to the shell being enormously large. The shell is wide enough at the top which itself is high enough that it felt rather uncomfortable to me. Don’t buy unless you can test it first. Also, the shell reaches down pretty low at the front and the back, so if you’ll ever do any off-roading, you need to be aware where you can try to go and where not.

One thing about the Nikola is the battery age. I don’t know if they’re manufactured anymore, so any Nikola you get may have battery cells that have spent the last three years unused at a sub-optimal voltage. The complications from that can be anything from a shorter range to being a fire hazard while charging.

And if you’ll ever need spare parts for your wheel, GotWay/Begode is known to drop spare parts manufacturing to their old models as soon as 6 months from the model launch.

Edited by mrelwood

Suspension is such a game changer... it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why. While I would also put the V12 at the top of your list, not having suspension would make me think hard about T4. Even with its teething problems.

I dearly love my 16XS.LR and it gets ridden virtually every day because I just like it and it's reliable and I don't mind racking up miles on it. BUT. Every time I get the 16XS.LR out of the wheelhouse, I look at the S18 that sits beside it and think... oof, I so like how that rides—maybe I should take it instead.

I don't, because it's my trail wheel and has the soft (and virtually unobtainum in the US) TR1 tire that I don't want to waste on pavement. But it sings a siren song that's difficult to ignore.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1