New Zealand - South Island - Dunedin+

That Guy

I'm in Dunedin for a few days (in my Motorhome with my trailer (garage)). I've taken care of important business - riding up Baldwin St. I've been up 3 times - Sherman S, Inmotion RS scooter, e-MTB (Bafang Ultra 1kw motor).

The first run was on the scooter - super easy, plenty of 'chirping' from the front wheel going up. I suppose I should use the Inmotion app to change the settings and lower the power going to the front motor.

The 2nd run was on my e-MTB. I did make it up to the top, but it was a struggle. It turns out that 1kw, even mid-drive so that it can be geared down, is just not as good as 2 x 2kw.

The 3rd run was on my Sherman-S. It wasn't as quick a run as with the scooter, I just rode up at a steady pace - no drama, easy enough. On the ride down I gained quite a bit of battery power.

When I first got to Baldwin st it was pretty freaky. I've never seen a street that looks anything like that. It is definitely steeper than any other street I've been on by a BIG margin.

12 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

When I first got to Baldwin st it was pretty freaky. I've never seen a street that looks anything like that. It is definitely steeper than any other street I've been on by a BIG margin.

Ha ha! Yes. It's quite a shock when you see it at first.
I did it with a 'local' on his S18 and on my S22 (non pro)
Coming down it looked even worse until I got used to it.

I was hoping to be there this summer but am laid up after a back operation.
There is some excellent MTB riding to be had around there :thumbup:  

• Like 1