New Zealand - South Island - Dunedin+

That Guy

1 hour ago, wheely fun said:

Anyone up for a ride this arvo?

Im planning on heading out on the trails behind Logan Park at 1pm today. If your keen come along!

Joining you at 2pm! Meeting at the car park of Logan Park!

If anybody has an S22 and are thinking of doing the suspension upgrade, either with the 3D printed version or the sexy aluminium version.

DO IT!

I did the 3D printed version and now my wheel is sooooooo much better. The suspension actually works!

Nah, bro, we are totally risk-averse here in Dunners... :)

On a serious note, we spoke with Wheely during our ride last Sat, and he said he was thinking about S22 as his next wheel, but all those stories... 

Sound like there are two types of people here in the South, one is the BMX/downhill fun and others are like long haul non-technical commuters. I think I belong to the second group and everybody else is in the first. :D

9 hours ago, That Guy said:

On a serious note, we spoke with Wheely during our ride last Sat, and he said he was thinking about S22 as his next wheel, but all those stories... 

Sound like there are two types of people here in the South, one is the BMX/downhill fun and others are like long haul non-technical commuters. I think I belong to the second group and everybody else is in the first. :D

I use mine to ride to work but prefer to ride the MTB tracks when I can.  I do like tinkering with things but was worried about taking the wheel apart. I didn't have any problems and the difference was amazing.

Yesterday, two of us on S22s rode along the cycle tracks for 56km, very little on the roads. I ended with just over half a 'tank' left (I weigh 77kg). We weren't hanging around for most of the time, especially on the way home.  I rode up Fringed Hill last weekend, 3000ft, it's quite steep. I arrived at the top with 78%. I looked to see how much I had in the tank when I got back to the car...... 82%!!  I'd gained 4% on the way down with the regen!

I still consider myself to be a beginner, this is my first wheel so not much to compare it to.  Looking forward to going for a ride with you guys if I make it down your way after Christmas (as long as you don't laugh too much at my very technical face plants!)  :w00t2:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely interested in seeing one in the flesh.
There are only three EUC riders in Nelson.  But, the holidays are starting.
My wife (who unfortunately has no interest) and I will be doing a road trip.
I'll be keen for a ride (as long as you don't laugh too much! :D

I'm hoping to be down it the area in the beginning of the year.
Not sure exactly as 'The Wife' is flying down to Queenstown on Boxing Day to walk the Routeburn with some friends.
'Somebody' has to drive the caravan down to meet her at the end!

On 11/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, That Guy said:

Nah, bro, we are totally risk-averse here in Dunners... :)

I too belong to the latter but a local Julian is dragging me over to the bumpy side! 
I see the potential for fun once I gain a bit of competence.

Have the S22 as well- coming from a V11 it’s certainly a more confidence inspiring wheel.

Is anybody in Dunedin going riding over the next couple of days?

I'm in Christchurch at the moment but will be heading south soon.

Or. Any suggestions for good tracks to ride on the one wheeled madness device? (AKA the S22)

Edited by Julian-NZ
  • Like 1

Anywhere any time! :-) I am here with my Shermax. I will text other guys and see what's in their plans. 

For off-roading you probably would like to either get to Logan Park BMX tracks, or Flagstaff forest tracks. There are a couple of long-ish harbour rides on both sides - to Port Chalmers and Portobello. Send me an in-mail - looking forward to meeting!

• Like 1

Sorry. Been and gone.

I ride some of the tracks on signal hill as I didn't know where to go.

Started easy with the sweat powered unicycle then tried the stuff on a couple of grade 4 tracks. I had a bit more problems with these. Very slippery in the wet and deep channels. Great for pedal clipping!

It would have been great to catch up and go for a ride.

In Queenstown tomorrow.

I might be heading for Dunedin in about a week or so. It depends on the wife and friends we're traveling with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody! What's the feel about getting on a ride tomorrow (Saturday the 7th) in Dunedin? 

There are two options: boring and extreme. :-) The first one would be a harbour ride to Portobello the other one would be Swampy Summit. Nothing particularly difficult about those forestry tracks and I am riding them with no problems on Shermax. 

Jullian ( @Julian-NZ) may be joining us on his S22.

We can target 11am or 12pm and the ride should take about 1.5-2 hours. What do you folks think?

On 1/14/2023 at 7:40 PM, Julian-NZ said:

in Wanaka

Have you managed to find anyone? I heard there are one or two riders in Queenstown, didn't hear about Wanaka. If you manage to connect let us know!

How was the ride in Wanaka?