Current V11 owner thinking about V13 pre-order... am I crazy?

eucinsea

Hello all, long time no see! I kinda dropped off the EUC planet for a bit with this and that but hit ewheels site today to see the V13 is available for pre-order. I gave a quick read over specs and seems like a very nice upgrade especially with all the hills here around Seattle and after having V11 suspension is a must, so many saves from sudden bumps that I ate on my v8/KS16x :D

In-fact the only complaints I even have of my V11 (still on 1.2.1 fw need to check forums to see if I should upgrade that bad boy or leave it) are that my BLE cuts out after a few minutes of V11 starting leaving using apps like Darknessbot useless for me. :( I can not remember the last on that but it seemed to only be the first few V11 that had issues. Maybe an BLE firmware upgrade fixes it as well (on 3.6.1 of that) and that the handle switch is buggy and works sometimes but most the time does not. Both are woes I believe of pre-ordering on day 1 and getting that early early sweetness.. ha 

So would I be crazy for upgrading to the V13? From the info and bit of video I have seen so far seems like a huge jump in right direction for EUC but Ive been away so what do I know..  ha

Edited by prasket
  • Like 1

If you want to go to that level of speed and range, are prepared for 100lb + wheels, and want to stay with InMotion, then the V13 is your option. Personally I find the suspension design underwhelming compared to what the other brands are doing. I also don't think the reliability of their new board design is proven yet, I would be waiting for evidence of that.

If this year has taught me anything it's to never buy 1st or 2nd batch wheels. Plus, the V13 is going to be a huge jump from the V11 in terms of capability so be ready for power well-beyond what you're used to; with great power comes great responsibility.

1 hour ago, Spaghetteh said:

with great power comes great responsibility

Well, unlike motorcycles, euc's also demand great skills before the rider can do much with it. So, unlike a motorcyclist who can claim that he or she accidentally went too fast, an euc rider has to be pretty deliberate in his or her actions to do so, with a lot of development and adaptation along the way.

There is a saying among motorcyclists, you can be bold or grow old, but not both. One can be irresponsible for once or twice, it won't be much longer. There are only so many body parts, or how many times that you can break something.

Edited by techyiam

Nothing crazy about wanting a nice new shiny wheel! Mind that it is going to be a quite different ride than a V11 with that huge tire (as you mention hills: braking might need more effort by the rider).

One could argue whether buying a first batch wheel in 2022 is crazy. But at least there is a really nice early bird discount here, which I think is a fair trade and would work for me (if I wanted a V13). And even if there are problems you know they are going to be fixed eventually, the questions is just how awful it might be getting there;)

So short answer: it's up to you, there's no clear reason to do one thing or the other. Trust your gut.

5 minutes ago, eucinsea said:

Thank you for all the input.. Some very valid points and advice I will have to think about...

Bad thing is I just tried to update the firmware on my V11 to see if it fixes the BLE issue and whelp it appears bricked.. will not power on, no BLE when plugged in, app was just stuck on last update screen... no errors at all but wheel just turned off after 2/3 updates completed and was in final stages of last one... Havent dug too deep yet but seems this has happened to others as well. :(

I think you just wait and make sure you have good Wi-Fi. I recall it took several minutes. 

3 minutes ago, eucinsea said:

:) yeah it came back to life so I deleted my comment. You must have responded before I deleted. :D

it does say it failed and is doing the update again so let us see what happens this time.. its in progress now

Ok I recall my first update failed and it had to try again. Don’t worry. It’s Inmotion not begode 😂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, techyiam said:

Well, unlike motorcycles, euc's also demand great skills before the rider can do much with it. So, unlike a motorcyclist who can claim that he or she accidentally went too fast, an euc rider has to be pretty deliberate in his or her actions to do so, with a lot of development and adaptation along the way.

I get what you're saying, though I don't agree that a rider's top-speed is necessarily an indication of how skilled they are. There's countless stories on this forum of riders getting spooked by wobbles at high speeds and losing control of their wheel. I personally know someone who had to learn that lesson the hard way during his first ride on my brand new 16X... they got a little too bold and ate it going too fast; fortunately, everyone and the wheel walked away in relatively one piece. I'm not sure how much of an issue wobbles are going to be with the V13 due to it's large profile... but it being 120lbs, I can't imagine it'll be easy to recover should they start.

Anyway, I've been seeing a lot of riders with 30mph wheels talking about getting the V13 and while it's not quite like a new rider getting a Sherman as their first wheel I'd still advise to take it slow, especially with 120lbs of machine traveling 55mph.

Edited by Spaghetteh

16 minutes ago, Spaghetteh said:

I'm not sure how much of an issue wobbles are going to be with the V13 due to it's large profile... but it being 120lbs, I can't imagine it'll be easy to recover should they start. Anyway, my general sentiment to take it slow, especially with 120lbs of machine traveling 55mph.

In reality, I believe most if not all riders of the V13 going at 55 mph will be advanced riders. And these riders will have full knowledge of what they are getting themselves into. It won't be by accident.

For example, the rider who crash his Master Pro going 100+ km/h in Dubai knew exactly what he was getting himself into. He, in particular, would crash no matter what, because he would not be satisfied with the top speed he had attained unless he had crashed first. Now, you can bet he won't ride past 100+ km/h again on that Master Pro, because he is pretty sure he knows where the limit of that wheel is.

Edited by techyiam