V11 controller cover cooling modifications (Drilling holes)

MrEUCMan

I don't ride my V11 in the rain. I don't even go over puddles. Water proofing is not a big deal for me. However, hills are a big problem for me. I live in a super hilly area, and I see temps in the 140s/150s after most of the hill climbs.

Also, I can't figure out how the fan works. It's just blowing at a case cover, but nothing internal actually gets cooled. In fact, I think that heat is being kept inside the cover, because I don't see any ventilation.

I bought an additional cover from Amazon and have been thinking about using it as an experiment. I plan on drilling holes all over it to increase ventilation and air flow. Again, I don't care for water proofing.

Thoughts?

If that's as hot as you're getting I don't think it's enough of a problem to warrant big modifications, unless you're seeing close to 200F on the mosfets or 180 on the board there's nothing to be concerned about. If you do go about this I think the goal is airflow over the heatsink and not just the board, and also would consider adding a mesh or something to keep out rocks or the like depending on how big these holes are.

Edited by chanman
farenheit
  • Upvote 1

Like @chanman wrote, 150·F is not at all a problem for the V11.

The MOSFETs, which are the parts that get hot, are bolted on a large aluminium heat sink. The cover is a part of the heat sink structure, so cooling the cover does cool down the MOSFETs as well. Not the most effective cooling system, but definitely sufficient.

Once you get into the dangerous temperatures, the wheel should tilt back and prevent you from riding until it cools down a bit. Until that starts to happen often enough to be a problem or an annoyance, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Like @chanman wrote, 150·F is not at all a problem for the V11.

The MOSFETs, which are the parts that get hot, are bolted on a large aluminium heat sink. The cover is a part of the heat sink structure, so cooling the cover does cool down the MOSFETs as well. Not the most effective cooling system, but definitely sufficient.

Once you get into the dangerous temperatures, the wheel should tilt back and prevent you from riding until it cools down a bit. Until that starts to happen often enough to be a problem or an annoyance, I wouldn't worry about it.

Gotcha, wow, I didn't know the cover is essentially part of the heat sink.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, chanman said:

If that's as hot as you're getting I don't think it's enough of a problem to warrant big modifications, unless you're seeing close to 200F on the mosfets or 180 on the board there's nothing to be concerned about. If you do go about this I think the goal is airflow over the heatsink and not just the board, and also would consider adding a mesh or something to keep out rocks or the like depending on how big these holes are.

Holy cow 200F!  Ya, I'm no where close to that. Thanks!

1 hour ago, chanman said:

unless you're seeing close to 200F on the mosfets or 180 on the board there's nothing to be concerned about

200F (93C) on the MOSFETs is too high. Most wheels will declare over temperature at about 80C (176F).

140-150F isn't a problem though, it's warm but not harmful. Besides, cold and dark and rain season is upon us now.

• Haha 1