Anyone fitted the upgraded Molicel packs to their Nik+?

I'm having a hard time with mine, they sure seem too thick, my shell on the motherboard side sits about 1/4" above the inner shell and the other while not being as bad, bows between where the screws hold shell on, wires are routed properly and out of the way, just wondering if anyone has successfully installed these packs.

Here is the shell on the motherboard side just sitting on the installed battery, it's like this all the way around, I don't feel comfortable flexing the shell so much to install the screws.

dXEdkUS.jpg

Edited by RetroThruster

At least the pack won't bounce around.. I would call that a win in my book. :D 

Did you compare original pack thickness to new pack? How much thicker is the new pack?

Can't there be any plastic cut away, from shell/cover for more space? If not - flex it, or return the pack. Your choice..

Edited by Funky

Is the reason why the side panel won't fit flush because the panel is hitting the battery pack? If this is the case, are there double-sided foam tape on both sides of the pack? If so, you can try replacing the double-sided foam tape with just double-sided tape. Note that the packs need to be secured inside the shell too.

31 minutes ago, Funky said:

At least the pack won't bounce around.. I would call that a win in my book. :D 

Did you compare original pack thickness to new pack? How much thicker is the new pack?

Can't there be any plastic cut away, from shell/cover for more space? If not - flex it, or return the pack. Your choice..

I wouldn't call it a win if lets water enter the shell or cracks it, but yeah, we know a tight fitting pack is ideal.  No, I had to show proof of disposal before they would send the new packs out.  I'm not going to flex the panels so much to get to fit properly, it doesn't make contact with the gasket so water will flow right in, between the screw holes it flexes out 2-3mm.

Edited by RetroThruster

20 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Is the reason why the side panel won't fit flush because the panel is hitting the battery pack? If this is the case, are there double-sided foam tape on both sides of the pack? If so, you can try replacing the double-sided foam tape with just double-sided tape. Note that the packs need to be secured inside the shell too.

No double sided tape is installed.  I thought I made it clear that the panels won't sit flush because of the pack being installed, you can see by the picture above that I have bigger fish to fry than a 1mm thick strip of double sided tape anyways, that's more than a 1/4" gap, like when a fat guy is wearing a too tight button down shirt, lol.

Edited by RetroThruster

Got the batteries fitted, its' a wicked tight fit and takes some fiddling, the batteries have to be positioned just right and you have to flex the chit out of the panels to get them over the cells but it'll work, hard impacts on the side will go straight to the packs, sort of scary to me.

• 1 month later...

I came looking for this thread, the replacement pack is like not even close to fitting.  Did what OP did, just flex the hell out of the shells.  Get the 6 screws started, and then tighten from bottom to top.

Edited by xorbe