Best Goggles for EUCs?

Hey all,

I've been riding many years with just sunglasses or glasses. They seemed safe enough given the relatively low speeds (15mph, then 25mph)  of the wheels I have owned.

Now that many of us are buying and riding advanced wheels capable of cruising in the 30s or 40s for extended periods, I was thinking about upgrading my eye protection in addition to the new body gear I have been buying. I already have a TSG Pass Pro so no need to discuss faceshields. I plan to wear the goggles with my Troy Lee helmets primarily.

Here are some of the questions I have:

1. What goggles and lenses do y'all wear/recommend?
  2. I'm partial to Oakleys (and TLD) but they are expensive. Are they worth it?
  3. Which goggles fit over prescription frames?
  4. What lenses do you prefer for bright (daytime) riding in urban/suburban landscapes?
  5. Also, has anyone tried photochromic goggles for day and night use?

Thanks. I thought it would be nice to discuss something other than all the drama about the latest wheels. :D

Edited by litewave
added questions about lenses

5. I use orange tinted sunglass under my TSG Pass, and ride around with the visor open a lot of the time.

Definitely gives improved contrast in low light, and makes sunsets much more magical !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, litewave said:

I've been riding many years with just sunglasses or glasses. They seemed safe enough given the relatively low speeds (15mph, then 25mph)  of the wheels I have owned.

I am not sure whether you mean regular glasses and sunglasses or bicycle glasses (aerodynamically designed and protective). I believe the latter are good up to 30mph at the very least since bicycle racers wear them at those speeds. I think that MTB goggles (the ones with a strap and foam) only make sense in a high-speed offroad setting where you are following others or generally ride in a very dusty/sandy area. I have both cycling glasses (several types from decathlon) and MTB goggles (IXS Trigger). I have yet to take the latter on a ride. However, I have a slow wheel by modern standards and don't go over 28mph.

What lenses do you prefer for bright (daytime) riding in urban/suburban landscapes?

I wear and prefer these. They fully cover the field of view without obstructing it yet still have enough ventilation and are superlight and don't slip or fog up even in sweaty heat. They fit under all my helmets well (TSG Pass, IXS Trigger FF, regular bicycle helmet by Lizard). I am very happy with them.

Also, has anyone tried photochromic goggles for day and night use?

I wear these photochromics ones for outdoors exploration where dark forests and sunny fields alternate all the time. It's much more convenient than carrying two pairs of glasses. They are a bit larger than the ones linked earlier and thus offer slightly better protection. However, due to being heavier (while still light) they slip when my face is sweaty. Another problem is the lens is still notably dark even in the lightest state, so I yearn to take them off later in the evening. I don't know if it's like this with all photochromics or only with my relatively affordable model.

• Like 1