S18 balancing problem during reassembly.

chanman

So I'm replacing the tire after wearing out the original. I've partially reassembled it and clamped the wheel to the axle and reconnected the cables, but there seems to be a problem with the balancing.

If I turn on the wheel and tilt it forward, the motor does not engage, but a very large amount of current is drawn. After a while there will be a jerk back towards being balanced, and the motor cable becomes very warm. I'm thinking this could be a hall sensor issue, but the wheel diagnostics report fine. 

Looking for any suggestions or anyone who's had this problem. Perhaps I've made a mistake in the wheel reassembly, could it be explained by a misaligned tire or not fully having the wheel reassembled? There is some rubbing with the tire and the inner fender as I don't have the alignment very good yet, but the wheel rotates by hand with some friction. It seems to me that the wheel should be balancing properly at this step, even before the pedal hangers are reinstalled, right? 

Thanks.

Edited by chanman

• chanman changed the title to S18 balancing problem during reassembly.
24 minutes ago, chanman said:

If I turn on the wheel and tilt it forward, the motor does not engage, but a very large amount of current is drawn. After a while there will be a jerk back towards being balanced, and the motor cable becomes very warm. I'm thinking this could be a hall sensor issue, but the wheel diagnostics report fine. 

That right there sound like something is very wrong.. As wires would never get "hot" even under normal riding.

How much current?

You removed only "motor" right? (From S18 videos, it seems it has only two wires connected - to remove motor.) Didn't disconnect batteries, go in motherboard, etc..?

Edited by Funky

I believe I saw 40-50 amps reported by the app, so it's full sending current trying to balance and the motor doesn't spin. Maybe the motor cable is shorted somehow? Wouldn't expect it to move at all then though, which leads me to hall sensor issue?

Yes, I disconnected the motor and hall sensor wires, the two things that go to the motor, removed the motor to swap tires, did the swap, and put it back essentially.

Edited by chanman

Does S18 have fuses? If they are 30A fuse.. At 40-50 they would have blown - no? (I'm no "electric" smart, just simple math.) So i'm guessing here..

Remove motor again - check if you have not "pinched" wire somehow. < Next best step..

Edited by Funky

Found it, I connected the hall sensor wires hecking backwards of all things. Didn't think the connector would even let me do that but it did. Explains everything and balances normally now. Fortunately did not blow the fuse with the short current peaks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chanman said:

Found it, I connected the hall sensor wires hecking backwards of all things. Didn't think the connector would even let me do that but it did. Explains everything and balances normally now. Fortunately did not blow the fuse with the short current peaks.

How the heck did you manage to do that. :D Aren't those wires "slotted"? Well there ya go.

At least you where right - it was "hall sensor issue" :D 

I advise you to ride slower the first some rides.. You don't know, if you damaged something else now.

Edited by Funky

Yeah hoping the motor isn't melted lol. I don't think it got too too hot, I only saw 60C ish reported in the app. Now to get the wheel alignment right and the stupid pedal hangers back on. Much more of a headache than they make it look like in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6IfxCTNBTQ

53 minutes ago, chanman said:

Yeah hoping the motor isn't melted lol. I don't think it got too too hot, I only saw 60C ish reported in the app. Now to get the wheel alignment right and the stupid pedal hangers back on. Much more of a headache than they make it look like in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6IfxCTNBTQ

60C is fine. When riding it gets that hot. Yeah in those videos they only "show" how to.. They leave out all the "fun" stuff. :D 

Here's some tips for centering tire, may help.

By holding euc pedals and letting it speed up (Free spin) You can make sure that tire is centered. If it doesn't shake at higher speed - everything fine. If it starts to shake - recenter the tire again..

Free spin test: His wheel isn't shaking left/right at high speed = centered tire.

How to check if tire is "centered"

Edited by Funky

Not so much the tire as the motor itself being aligned with the body, basically I ended up gluing a few washers together to make like a 3/16th inch steel wedge to put under the axle on one side, known quirk with the S18. This mostly corrected things, but might have to further dial it in. Was able to have a short (mostly because my feet and back hurt from working on this thing for hours lmao) but still enjoyable ride today, looks like things are good and new tire behaves nicely.

Edited by chanman

9 hours ago, chanman said:

Thanks for this nice test. :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, enaon said:

Thanks for this nice test. :D

Anytime, my wheel is now stress tested lol, no longer will I be worried about hitting 30 amps now that I know I'm good to hit 40 for a bit lmao.

Edited by chanman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2