which is which RS19 HS or RS19 HS

Robse

I'm confused.  Has given up acquiring a V12 (but that's another matter ;-) )   so now i'm looking for an RS19 HS, and here comes the problem.  It looks like there are several different versions of that wheel, and i can not figure out what is what, new or old, good or bad.   What confuses me is this pictures, two of them taken direct from begodes own pages, others from different suppliers. There are wheels with and without display (i don't mind for that feature, it looks misplaced,  seems to me like just one more part that can break, or be the water leak...but there are none displays at Begodes own site? ) Then there is something with the bearings, one supplier mentions: with the new bearings.. ok, from when on?  what about the previous bearings, whats up doc?   Some of the wheels seems to have the speaker on the opposite side of the others, or is the pictures just mirror incorrect ( the logo is correct... ) i dont get it.

rshs-2-w1.jpg

rshs-2.jpg

rshs-1.jpg

rshs-2-w2.jpg

rshs-3.jpg

rshs-2-w3.jpg

On 5/31/2022 at 7:12 AM, Robse said:

I'm confused.  Has given up acquiring a V12 (but that's another matter ;-) )   so now i'm looking for an RS19 HS, and here comes the problem.  It looks like there are several different versions of that wheel, and i can not figure out what is what, new or old, good or bad.   What confuses me is this pictures, two of them taken direct from begodes own pages, others from different suppliers. There are wheels with and without display (i don't mind for that feature, it looks misplaced,  seems to me like just one more part that can break, or be the water leak...but there are none displays at Begodes own site? ) Then there is something with the bearings, one supplier mentions: with the new bearings.. ok, from when on?  what about the previous bearings, whats up doc?   Some of the wheels seems to have the speaker on the opposite side of the others, or is the pictures just mirror incorrect ( the logo is correct... ) i dont get it.

And we meet again here...lol. And you're in luck, because I have just become the very happy owner of a Begode RS HT. Haven't managed to ride it cause of a sprained foot, but it's sitting happy. But here's a breakdown of the RS19 from what I've managed to gather and piece together online.

RS19 batch one

Wheeler pro has some very detailed videos and teardowns, albeit in French with very good English subs)

- Does not have the LCD screen.

- Has the big bearings that are apparently prone to rust.

- Has the blue mobo. With NO mobo cover/box and old heatsink.

RS19 batch two (which I have)

- Has the LCD screen, both in green and red. (This is the one in Wrong Way's teardown video)

- Has the big bearings that are apparently prone to rust.

- Has the blue mobo. With mobo cover/box and new larger heatsink.

- Motor holes also seem to have some sort of thick paper covering over them. (picture in post linked below)

- My unit also has the battery fuses that were added to Begode wheel after June 2021. Although my unit is slightly older than that. Did not confirm if it has the new BMS, not bothered to remove the batteries to find out.

RS19 batch three

Differences have been detailed in this thread: 

- Has the LCD screen, all in red.

- Has the small bearings and updated flange with larger opening for the bearings. (can be seen clearly in Wheeler Pro's RS update part 1 video)

- Has the black mobo with bluetooth firmware update capability. With mobo cover/box and new larger heatsink. (Wheeler Pro also tested the RS before and after the update, not much a difference. Video will be the RS update part 2)

- Addidional daughterbord next to the speakers.

- New location of cooling fan. Fan also change from a 1U 4020 server fan to a 4010.

- XT60 to MT60. Battery connectors have been changed.

- Retaining clasps instead of magnets used to secure pedals.

- Buzzer & Logo vs Speakers have swapped sides.

Edited by adrianqbs

In general, your references will be

- Batch 1 - Almost any RS teardown video, Wheeler Pro's being what I feel to be the clearest and best laid out.

- Batch 2 - Wrong Way's teardown video.

- Batch 3 - The thread linked in my previous post.

- Batch 4 - Not sure if there is one. If anyone might care to elucidate?

Edited by adrianqbs

And if you are as far down the rabit hole as I am, the waterproofing on the RS is reportedly rather poor.

1. You'll be able to find 3D printable files for the 

- Front and rear bumpers (with nubs to use as a stand)

- Rear mudguard

- Replacement handle with added shrouding to prevent water seeping in

- Various styles of bearing protectors. Most videos on youtube regarding waterproofing the RS seem to focus on the bearings and not the others.

2. To protect the electronics, I'll be usiing liquid electrical tape, conformant PCB spray.

3. I've also gotten some 2inch (inner diameter) speaker grills, and water resistant fabric to DIY over the speakers, logo and buzzer. (Basically what Wheeler Pro did, but with added water ingress protection.)

4. Will also be doing a thermal pad upgrade. As seen on Wheeler Pro's RS update part 2 video.

Edited by adrianqbs

I just bought one a month ago this what it looks like .it’s an awesome wheel I’ve put 950km on it in a month .buying it from ewheels the best online retailer in the USA .they gave me free spiked pedals ,mudgaurd,power pads and even wrist guards .they also sent me an extra set of inner shells because some people were having issues with screw receiver posts on the inner shells snapping off.but I haven’t had any issues with mine yet so I have a back up set for now.

2B944D6A-2187-405D-B0A8-7AF56671D25B.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

I just bought one a month ago this what it looks like .it’s an awesome wheel I’ve put 950km on it in a month .buying it from ewheels the best online retailer in the USA .they gave me free spiked pedals ,mudgaurd,power pads and even wrist guards .they also sent me an extra set of inner shells because some people were having issues with screw receiver posts on the inner shells snapping off.but I haven’t had any issues with mine yet so I have a back up set for now.

2B944D6A-2187-405D-B0A8-7AF56671D25B.jpeg

Ewheels is still selling the first batch RSs' more than a year on? 

I've been lucky with the weather proofing on my RS. It's the 2nd production run. I had my bearings go bad at 100 miles. eWheels sent me replacements. I repacked them with marine grease and drilled drainage holes in the motor cover flange that covered the bearings. It's been almost a year and a half and 1500 miles with no problems. The plastic on my RS has been good. The plastic on my EX.N has been shit. The only waterproof I've done to my RS has been taping a piece of bicycle inner tube over the power switch. I regularly open the outer panels and inspect everything. So far no water ingress and very little dust. 

I ride on road and off road. I also ride in the rain, even heavy at times. It rains here most of the year. 

8 hours ago, adrianqbs said:

Ewheels is still selling the first batch RSs' more than a year on? 

Not sure which batch they are selling but it’s definitely not first batch I think the charge port covers are different and now they will actually thread onto the charging cable when charging .also I believe it’s a different motherboard and they replaced all battery packs with litech packs 

1 hour ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Not sure which batch they are selling but it’s definitely not first batch I think the charge port covers are different and now they will actually thread onto the charging cable when charging .also I believe it’s a different motherboard and they replaced all battery packs with litech packs 

Oh wow, that means there yet another variant of the RS. If you ever decide to open up the shell, do post some pictures. It would be really nice to know.

Nice one on the litech packs. 👍👍