Just bought a used S18, are these things normal / fixable?

sunstrong

On 5/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, sunstrong said:

Is it something I should be concerned about, and open up the battery packs to check if there's water sipping in? Or is it unlikely?

The battery cases are pretty robust and you shouldn't have an issue with water getting in. If it was a very small puddle and only surface water on the battery casing you should be ok. I rode my wheel all winter and its ok.

I've just remembered! That during the winter to get rid of the salt from my wheel I put it in the shower and hosed it down from just below the controller housing all the way down. Much like Kuji rolls did in his S18 vlog. I can't recall how many times-lots. I just towelled it off afterwards and have had no issues. Plus I go out in rain. All I do is protect the motherboard by putting tape around the edge to stop water getting in. Or you could buy a small rucksack rain cover to do the same job.

• Like 2

hum just realized, should I have added loctite to some of the bolts/screws when I put it back together (if so where?)? I'm very new to this all this mechanical stuff 😂

Edited by sunstrong

11 minutes ago, sunstrong said:

should I have added loctite to some of the bolts/screws when I put it back together

Regular locktite will eat (literally) plastic that is within 'vapor deposition' range. There are plastic-safe varieties, but they're way expensive.

I only use locktite on metal-to-metal places where there's no plastic within an inch (pedal hangers). Most of the little M3 screws are going into a brass colored threaded insert that's heat staked into the plastic: NO LOCTITE HERE. EVER. (you don't want the screw glued in too well or when you try to remove it it'll break the insert loose from the plastic)

Me not using loctite is why I routinely open my wheels and snug everything back down. Not too snug mind you, but snug.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1