MICHELIN TIRE - PILOT STREET 2 for SHERMAN (Tubed or Tubeless ? How to install?)

WILSONEUC

Just ordered MICHELIN TIRE - PILOT STREET 2 - FRONT - 80/90-14 - 46S 63992 (Tubeless) for Veteran Sherman (Jan 2021) 

Im new to the specifics of tire changes for EUC's. Hopefully this post helps others as well.

Questions:

• Should I use the tire as tubeless or convert to tubed? If so, which tube do you recommend for this tire?
  • How to install a tube to a tubeless tire?
  • Steps to install Tubeless only  to rim?
Edited by CyberV0LT
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Funky said:

Not worth installing tubeless.. (Too much hassle honestly.. Rim doesn't have that "lip", so air doesn't leak. You need to gat that "valve" that screws to rim..) Sure you could do it, some have done it. But not really worth it.

As for tube, simply use your original tube. Nothing changes. Same as Heidenau K66 tire, it is tubeless - we simply use tube, as regular tire.

I hope you got some "screw clamps" at least 3x. Or other tire changing tools. These tires are very hard to mount over rim "lip". I had to clamp down K66 tire so tire bead sits in rim grove. If the bead doesn't sit in the rim grove - good luck getting other side over rim.. Compared to original tires 5102/1488/666 < those are easy peasy lemon squeezy to install. (No tools needed at all..) :D 

I used the clamps to press the tire sides together - so it would sit in rim grove.. While mounting other side over rim.

Thank you i appreciate the reply! Tire comes in this wednesday, going to take my time with this (most likely FrenchUSA will be helping me with this), keep you all updated with feel of street tire versus knobby

1 hour ago, CyberV0LT said:

Thank you i appreciate the reply! Tire comes in this wednesday, going to take my time with this (most likely FrenchUSA will be helping me with this), keep you all updated with feel of street tire versus knobby

Make a video if you can - always fun to watch, when someone are working on their euc's. :wub:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Funky said:

Make a video if you can - always fun to watch, when someone are working on their euc's. :wub:

Will try my best to document every single tear down and installation of everything that i can without missing a beat :p

Be mindful not to pinch the tube if using tire spoons to get the last lip of tire over rim. I've learned to cram my fingers inside to push tube (slightly aired up) back enough for spoons not to touch tube.

Filing the tube with air, so the tube takes form, could help not pinching it. I did that also.

Forgot - also you need to oil/soap the tire bead, so it goes over the rim smoother.

This is how i put on K66 tire:

I got on first tire bead all over the rim. Then i put the somewhat pumped tube in, (air valve goes in first..) Then i oiled second bead all over. When i got half of the second bead on the rim, i used those "screw clamps" to pinch the tire sides - so both tire beads would touch together. Then i moved both tire beads in the rim grove. I kept putting those clamps on - 1 bottom and second/third/fourth clamp more upwards. Till i got the second tire bead over the rim..

Then i centered it multiple times, till i got it just right in middle - no shake at all when euc are free spinning at higher speeds. (I placed the euc in stand put a somekind marker, to mark the center and kept spinning the tire, reseating it till i got it just in center. K66 tire has that center grove so it was easy to center it..)

Edited by Funky

56 minutes ago, lazybones99 said:

i personally used 4x of these:

screw-clamp-temp-cast-250x120-mm-format.

Simply to clamp tire side walls together.. So bead would sit in rim grove. Without clamping - good luck getting both tire beads sit in rim grove. Because these tires are hard to press with hands..

Check tis video at 8:00 min mark, he used zip-ties instead of clamps (Same thing happens - tire beads comes together.) I used clamps instead of zip-ties, because more space for rim.. (Zip-tie thickens - removed space for rim.) Doh after watching this video - i think zip-tie trick would work even better.. Because plastic would slide over rim.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, lazybones99 said:

I’ll definitely try the zip tie :)

what do you do with the tube? Inside the tied tire?

Put tube inside tire > Zip-Tie that bitch > ??? > Profit.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/22/2023 at 5:42 PM, Mathieu Tech Moto said:

Hi, i just installed exactly this tire, i even made a video at the same time, That on the Sherman-S through, on the second video i made it tubeless,  enjoy !

Great videos, thanks! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremySPFF said:

Any reviews on the ride of the tire compared to the knobby?

I have had limited time on the stock Kenda 262 and now I have the Michelin PS2 on my Sherman S and the Michelin is quieter, has more adhesion to the ground, rolls much smoother, and takes impacts much better than the knobby. I also wanted the manoeuvrability is much more predictable as you don't have different sets of knobs to turn over. I don't do any off road riding so the Michelin was a no brainier for me. I do also have a Michelin PS 1 on my V11 and I absolutely love it.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2