Power any device with your EUC by installing a AC / USB Socket?

LightWave

Someone asked to convert the front USB jack of a 16X into an AC socket and I immediately said the idea wouldn't be safe or even work. But I was thinking about it this morning and it maybe useful to say plug in a regular speaker or sound system etc so I wanted to see what you think about this?

They also want it to work when the EUC is powered off so basically turning the machine into a large portable battery but not sure if that's possible.

I wonder if we install something like this or another type of plug so we could power just about anything depending on the voltage of the device? Or would we need other types of adapters to make this work safely?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/leviton-decora-usb-15a-receptacle-0529696p.html?ds_rl=1283573&ds_rl=1283573&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpv2TBhDoARIsALBnVnlnFUdLjTZMzpzO2ZkyBJpqKccMu4X0CtIlzAKuVP4xtZXqipZ2-j8aAvu8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=389

25 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

They also want it to work when the EUC is powered off so basically turning the machine into a large portable battery but not sure if that's possible.

It is possible and relatively straight forward but it requires an inverter to convert the 84VDC battery voltage to 120VAC. And an AC receptacle that would be 'interesting' to mount.

26 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

I wonder if we install something like this or another type of plug so we could power just about anything depending on the voltage of the device? Or would we need other types of adapters to make this work safely?

Nope. That's intended to connect to household wiring and output (weak) 5V at the USB connector. Well, it would work after you did the conversion from DC to AC, and boosted the voltage.

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

It is possible and relatively straight forward but it requires an inverter to convert the 84VDC battery voltage to 120VAC. And an AC receptacle that would be 'interesting' to mount.

Oh really that's interesting, any idea where to pickup an inverter that could convert to 120VAC?

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

google should help with that... look for AC inverter then find one that will accept an input voltage between 70V Direct Current and 90V Direct Current

Would something like this work but just find correct voltage?

https://www.amazon.ca/Converter-DROK-Adjustable-Regulator-Transformer/dp/B08LPVWX74/ref=sr_1_3?crid=24XFTK0EG6V98&keywords=Inverter+70V+to+90V&qid=1652575834&s=electronics&sprefix=inverter+70v+to+9%2Celectronics%2C168&sr=1-3

That one changes the voltage of DC to a different voltage, but still at DC so it won't work. You need an "inverter" that converts DC into AC. These are typically used in solar installations, used to convert the 12V storage battery voltage to 120V AC household power.

19 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

That one changes the voltage of DC to a different voltage, but still at DC so it won't work. You need an "inverter" that converts DC into AC. These are typically used in solar installations, used to convert the 12V storage battery voltage to 120V AC household power.

Thank you well I think I definitely need to do more research into how all this works before trying anything like this lol

Not sure what you want to use it for?
Lets say you have a 2A USB outlet (1-2Amp is normal)
2Amp x 5VDC = 10W of power. Expect some powerloss of lets say 20%. So you have 8W left on a GOOD day.

Most inverters are made for 12VDC, not 5, and are most are 100W and up.

• Upvote 1

Converting comes with losses so it's best if you try to power stuff that is either low power or runs on DC voltage. Then what you need is a dc-dc converter, which there are many of out there.

The closer the required input voltage is to the euc battery voltage the more efficient/cooler the dc-dc converter will run = good.

24v stuff will run better than 12v and so on.

• Like 1