Batteries in series and or parallel KS 16X

Robse

How are the batteries in the KS 16X arranged?

The model is available as both 1554 (16X) or 777 WH (16XS), where the only

difference is (apart from motherboard and theoretical top speed

- is another discussion) that either one or two battery packs are

mounted. Therefore, one must probably assume that with 2 packages

mounted, these will be in parallel. If this is the case, what will

happen if one package "shuts down" due to cell failure? Theoretically,

the second package should still be able to supply voltage - or will

this voltage be lost in the now defective package, or what?

Regarding KS 16XS with only one battery pack: Does this configuration
mean that the wheel tend to lean slightly to the side where the battery is located?
- it is approx. 2,5 kg more on one side of the wheel, so?

There are two packs in parallel, if one shuts down the other works fine but you have less range and probably should get it looked at. They don't shut down unless there's a reason. And the reason is almost always "the pack is broken and that makes it a potential fire hazard".

I had an XS (1 pack) but was new to riding so don't really know if it leaned to the battery side. It might have, but I was too green to notice!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

There are two packs in parallel, if one shuts down the other works fine but you have less range and probably should get it looked at. They don't shut down unless there's a reason.

I had an XS (1 pack) but was new to riding so don't really know if it leaned to the battery side. It might have, but I was too green to notice!

Then there is at least some kind of redundancy in this wheel with batteries arranged in parallel - a slightly increased security against cutouts due to cell failure.

¿yes?

It's at least as not-terrible as any other wheel. But I don't know enough about its actual implementation to be able to declare it better or worse or even adequate. The track record of the 16X has been very good as long as you don't try to go too fast. It's really a 28 mph wheel, in spite of the marketing literature.

A catastrophic failure of a single cell will still cause a huge problem—for any and all wheels. Fortunately those are pretty rare and there are usually clues and signs (like range dropping or the wheel won't charge to 84V).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robse said:

Then there is at least some kind of redundancy in this wheel with batteries arranged in parallel - a slightly increased security against cutouts due to cell failure.

Cell failure cut-outs are not a thing. I cannot recall a single one reported on the forum here. Even if a cell failed during riding, you would just have a suddenly reduced voltage, which is not necessarily a reason for a cut-out to happen. The occasional, exceedingly rare cell failure is noticed when the wheel no longer charges to full voltage, that seems to be all. Then you need to be careful with the compromised pack and competently repair or replace it, and you're good again.

Worry about anything but cell failure cut-outs:)

• Like 1