Guide to buying an EUC second hand?

HI, I am considering buying a Ninebot S2, but am open to other recommendations. My biggest concern is price. This would be my first wheel. I know I won't be satisfied with the speed, or range, but would be happy enough with 24km/h and 20km of range, for a good price. What speed/range should I expect from a used S2, low and high?

I've looked for Ninebot One's and Inmotion V's and the cheapest I found was the S2. It is also important the wheel was designed and built with strict quality control in mind and has a good IP rating.

If I purchase the S2, I won't be able to pick it up in person. What questions should I ask beforehand? and what type of inspection could I conduct via video? 

I've looked for a general guide on buying second hand, but haven't found one in the forum?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hi.

We have a little guide on what is important when looking at used wheels. Not much, actually (battery should charge to full, and no obvious big damage). It's the second part of the post here:

27 minutes ago, LowFlyingSquirrel said:

24km/h

I don't know but I'm not sure the S2 can do that. Note that, as the battery depletes, the top speed of a EUC will go down. So "can do 24kph at full charge" and "can do 24 kph for a useful lengthof time" are two different things.

Maybe someone else can tell what performance to expect from an S2.

What is your weight? That might be important.

Ah, shocked that I missed that!

Hopefully someone does, or I can search it out, would also like to know if there were any revisions I should look out for.

I'm fairly light, about 70kg, I have some e-mobility experience with a Ninebot Max G30, and have noticed the speed drops from 30km/h-24km/h with a 36v battery, and range between 50-28km depending on temperature/average speed. Thinking about it some more, the S2 has a 54v battery and with the gyro draw maybe realistic speeds is a lot less than I was expecting.

• Like 1

Check that the rim is intact. They may have used the S2 to jump curbs.

The S2 has two battery banks. Check that both are showing the same voltage when fully charged. The fully charged voltage should be 63V if I remember well(mine is in Mexico)

Absolutely get the side pads. Ninebot should have included them as standard. They make a HUGE difference.

This is a highly underrated smaller wheel except for speed. Be aware that the pedals are close to the ground compared to the V5F, means they are prone to touch irregularities of the ground... On the other hand makes it easier for the beginner.

Have fun. This is a very light wheel that you can easily carry anywhere.

You may want to consider (budget permitting) Inmotion V8, V8F, V8S they are in a higher class but great build quality. A bit more suitable for riding among cars.

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hi.

We have a little guide on what is important when looking at used wheels. Not much, actually (battery should charge to full, and no obvious big damage). It's the second part of the post here:

I don't know but I'm not sure the S2 can do that. Note that, as the battery depletes, the top speed of a EUC will go down. So "can do 24kph at full charge" and "can do 24 kph for a useful lengthof time" are two different things.

Maybe someone else can tell what performance to expect from an S2.

What is your weight? That might be important.

The Ninebot can do 25 kmph - but only for the first 6-8 km.  About this time the battery is 10-15% down, and thats what it takes to limit the speed to 20 kmph.  Next downgrade is around 35% bat left -  then you have to limp home with 12-15 kmph.  But besides this:  Build quality is great, fun factor is top :thumbup:, and the wheel is so nimble and easy to do tricks with. ( i use mine for small trips to grocery stores etc. )    

• Like 1