First EUC, narowed to KS16 and Tesla V3, advise?

27 minutes ago, random_variable said:

You are right I have not seen or heard an ewheel crushing a rider. The strange thing is that, when I think of a heavy ewheel I think of a motorcycle, which brings to my ming images of riders falling to their side and sliding with their heavy bike under their legs crushing them. Just like a fell horse would crush its rider. Human mind works strangely some times :)

Thanks so much for the learner's tips. I will need them.

I see. Interesting. You know yourself best. The fact that you have realized that you need to buy a wheel to learn is already a big step, and the right step. 

Happy hunting. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 11:27 PM, random_variable said:

something that wont break my leg if it falls on it. So even the Tesla sounds too heavy, if it was at KS's weight I would buy it now.

This shouldnt be a concern. You will NOT be under the wheel and sliding, if you eject at any speed that could slide. I used to ride some big sport bikes, and I totally understand what you mean. However, even my 80lb wheel, isnt really a danger for crushing me. It endangers my back and hernias when I lift it. Its a bit tougher to hold up with one leg, but it aint gna stay atop or land on me and be the issue. If you manage to get ran over by your own euc after a fall, MAYBE the extra weight is something. Most of high speed euc crashes, are off the front and the wheel flies on by as it tumbles, OR rear eject and the wheel runs off as you slide behind and watch. The difference between a 30lb and 50lb wheel isnt really in the risk factor. Speeds and rider intent are more to concern yourself over. Fwiw, HEADROOM is king. ON a sport bike, you hit rev limiter and you simply go no faster. ON an euc, you hit the limit and it lets you fall off the front of it.... FUn times!

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:21 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

This shouldnt be a concern. You will NOT be under the wheel and sliding, if you eject at any speed that could slide. I used to ride some big sport bikes, and I totally understand what you mean. However, even my 80lb wheel, isnt really a danger for crushing me. It endangers my back and hernias when I lift it. Its a bit tougher to hold up with one leg, but it aint gna stay atop or land on me and be the issue. If you manage to get ran over by your own euc after a fall, MAYBE the extra weight is something. Most of high speed euc crashes, are off the front and the wheel flies on by as it tumbles, OR rear eject and the wheel runs off as you slide behind and watch. The difference between a 30lb and 50lb wheel isnt really in the risk factor. Speeds and rider intent are more to concern yourself over. Fwiw, HEADROOM is king. ON a sport bike, you hit rev limiter and you simply go no faster. ON an euc, you hit the limit and it lets you fall off the front of it.... FUn times!

Good insights, thank you!

I saw your backyard-training video on you tube, as you fall you are throwing yourself away from the wheel. If not it could fall on you :)

I get it, different dynamics. Still I feel that I will be more comfortable starting with a lighter wheel and go up to more substantial ones once I get comfortable.

On 3/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

You neednt go with some big badass cruiser, but you will more than likely want something that doesnt leave you upgrading for something similar, soon. If you do it right and the sickness sets in. You will find that you buy more wheels to supplement your first wheel. Tis much better than you having to 'replace' your first wheel, once the sickness sets in...

Supplement you say, I like this and can relate to after reading all these reviews about how wheels have all different riding character and purpose.

Then I guess a good strategy would be to start from a light and lively wheel that is easier to learn, and which I will want to go back to from time to time for short distances and maybe to ride in the City. Followed by a mid-level wheel like the Tesla or 16X, for longer rides and possibly off road.

11 hours ago, random_variable said:

Good insights, thank you!

I saw your backyard-training video on you tube, as you fall you are throwing yourself away from the wheel. If not it could fall on you :)

I get it, different dynamics. Still I feel that I will be more comfortable starting with a lighter wheel and go up to more substantial ones once I get comfortable.

I dont recall making any 'training"  videos. That would be like the blind leading the blind. I have had a bit of experience in falling off things tho.

Fwiw, there's opinions on both sides of the issue: is a small wheel or medium wheel easier to learn on. Tbh, I think it matters more that you simply start learning, rather than which wheel you learn on. Best of luck and dont delay!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I dont recall making any 'training"  videos. That would be like the blind leading the blind. I have had a bit of experience in falling off things tho.

Fwiw, there's opinions on both sides of the issue: is a small wheel or medium wheel easier to learn on. Tbh, I think it matters more that you simply start learning, rather than which wheel you learn on. Best of luck and dont delay!

I’d watch videos of you falling off of things. Lol. 🧗🏻‍♂️

I also learned on ks16s (My dads wheel) At first i thought: WTF!!! How the hell do you ride something like this!

Over 3 weeks. (My family normally went for a car trip each weekend, so you can say i tried mounting the euc 3 times for 10-15 mins or so..) And at 4th time i simply jumped on and was riding. The same day i was already going in circles, etc.. Something simply clicked in my brain and i was riding. Later i bought my self 18xl, because i needed something bigger for my weight.. 200km under my belt already driving at 40kph and more and more i notice speed alarms.. I don't plan going over 40kph speed because 18xl "max" speed is ~50ish, i will leave 10kph for safety. Yes i know 200km under my belt means shit.. But hey i'm already riding backwards. So it means something? :D 

First time i rode the 18xl i did not have any problems. I did not notice any difference coming from ks16s to 18xl. Sure it speeds up slower, isn't so torque as ks16s. But otherwise no difference. Some people have said, going from one wheel to other, they need to relearn. I did not have that problem.

BTW my dad weight same as you 165lbs and he has mentioned, that if you try to speed up quickly ks16s starts to beep. Meaning he's overpowering it normally..

Edited by Funky

4 hours ago, Funky said:

First time i rode the 18xl i did not have any problems. I did not notice any difference coming from ks16s to 18xl. Sure it speeds up slower, isn't so torque as ks16s. But otherwise no difference. Some people have said, going from one wheel to other, they need to relearn. I did not have that problem.

Thank you for providing that data point concerning acceleration without pads between the 16s and the 18xl. I have been curious about that.

If 18xl rode similarly to your 16s (which is something I did not expect), I would suspect the V12, V11, Sherman, Abrams and Monster Pro for sure would be wheels that will require relearning. Perhaps V12 won't take that long but the others should be non-trivial for riders coming from wheels which are less than 50 lbs. 

59 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Thank you for providing that data point concerning acceleration without pads between the 16s and the 18xl. I have been curious about that.

If 18xl rode similarly to your 16s (which is something I did not expect), I would suspect the V12, V11, Sherman, Abrams and Monster Pro for sure would be wheels that will require relearning. Perhaps V12 won't take that long but the others should be non-trivial for riders coming from wheels which are less than 50 lbs. 

What i was trying to say was that, when i first time rode 18xl, i didn't have any problems riding it. 16s wasn't mine wheel, so i really never rode it.. I only learned on it. (keeping balance, mounting, turning, so on..) I took what i learned and used it on 18xl without any issues.

On 16s you don't need to lean forwards much, to speed up. On 18xl you need to lean really hard forwards, if you wanna take up speed quickly. Feeling wise it's not the same, 16s is quick, zippy.. 18xl is like laid back cruiser. (Doh i'm also using 80/80-14 tire. Not the original 18x2.5")

Edited by Funky

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The video is titled "Euc newbie in the yard"

• Like 1

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

My takeaways are that the wheel I start with is not going to be my only one, and unless I go extreme learning is equally easy/challenging.

I know that I will always enjoy a small and light wheel to hop on in the middle of the day and zip around the neighborhood as a nice break from work. And time to time I will desire City riding on a nimble and maneuverable wheel. Therefore, I actually decided to get a McM5 as my first wheel. :)

Cheers!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, random_variable said:

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

My takeaways are that the wheel I start with is not going to be my only one, and unless I go extreme learning is equally easy/challenging.

I know that I will always enjoy a small and light wheel to hop on in the middle of the day and zip around the neighborhood as a nice break from work. And time to time I will desire City riding on a nimble and maneuverable wheel. Therefore, I actually decided to get a McM5 as my first wheel. :)

Cheers!

Solid first choice. Starts you out at the lower end and leaves you room for middle and high. Plenty powerful enough to learn on and get around for many miles to come.