Hot-Swappable Batteries drive e-scooter adoption in India

Richardo

I assume everyone on the forum shares my general love of electric vehicles, and the idea that your choice in a vehicle is determined by the trade-offs that best fit your situation. 

I had never really considered the potential of hot-swappable batteries, because it seems like the trade-offs that would require (off the top of my mind: increased size, connector complexity and durability, manufacturer cooperation, infrastructure investment, ownership of one of the most expensive parts of the vehicle) were too vast to make sense.

Well, I didn't consider how the 'speed of charging' might overwhelm all of those concerns for the delivery use-case. I bet this kicks ass when you can do it.

https://theprint.in/tech/two-minute-battery-changes-push-indias-delivery-riders-to-switch-to-e-scooters/881609/

Edited by Richardo

The biggest downside for EUCs is the cost of the battery packs (plural). My relatively small 750 Wh packs in the 16X retailed for 550USD each before the cost of batteries went SpaceX so I don't think I'd see much joy in buying a supplemental set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

The biggest downside for EUCs is the cost of the battery packs (plural). My relatively small 750 Wh packs in the 16X retailed for 550USD each before the cost of batteries went SpaceX so I don't think I'd see much joy in buying a supplemental set.

The infrastructure that makes this work (could it ever work for EUCs?) is a 'charge station' that allows you to swap a dead battery for one that is already fully charged!

That neutralizes the tradeoffs of:
1. Buying multiple batteries
2. Lugging around heavy and explosive backups,
3. The slow charge time of lion chemistry.
4. The safety of charging a battery in your house

It adds tradeoffs around:
1. Creating the infrastructure- someone has to invest in the business, and the infrastructure needed to charge all the batteries. 
2. Safety- A business dealing with PEV batteries will have regular alkali metal fires. But a business may be better equipped to centralize that risk, compared to thousands of homeowners.
2. Ownership of the battery & the fairness of the battery trade. How do you account for the fact that your battery may only have 10 charge cycles on it and the battery you picked up has 500? Does that even matter anymore? Maybe a hot-swappable EV wouldn't even be sold with a battery, you would get your very first one from the charge station, with a hefty deposit.

Edited by Richardo

MIght need a lot of swap stations,  in a lot of locations.

Might need a lot of EUC riders to make it feasible.

Many EUC models with many battery pack sizes, shapes.

How many EUC riders would be requiring a quick battery swap?