Veteran Sherman Max, short first look video

fbhb

26 minutes ago, supercurio said:

There shouldn't be obvious channels to push in grime and dirt directly into the bearings like on the Abrams

I agree, the Abrams is really far too susceptible for debris and gunk to get inside those open side panels causing risk of bearing failure, as mentioned by Adam "Wrongway" recently!

My belief is that the Sherman would fair quite well in this area, with it's much better protection from water spray around the axle!

Edited by fbhb

10 minutes ago, fbhb said:

I agree, the Abrams is really far too susceptible for debris and gunk to get inside those open side panels causing risk of bearing failure, as mentioned by Adam "Wrongway" recently!

My belief is that the Sherman would quite fair well in this area, with it's much better protection from water spray around the axle!

Yes I look forward to a comparison of the Sherman vs Sherman Max motors, to look into how "cupped" (not sure it's the right word) are the bearings.

It seems that both the wheel well design and the ring around the bearings have influence on water penetration and exit, including when the wheel stands up at the end of a ride.

I like the Sherman a lot and would consider upgrading if the Max doesn't have obvious flaws, just for the peace of mind provided by a stronger board and extra climbing ability without firework (needs confirmation)

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Yes I look forward to a comparison of the Sherman vs Sherman Max motors, to look into how "cupped" (not sure it's the right word) are the bearings.

Only Ecodrift carry out what I would consider a thorough teardown, so I too look forward to seeing them pull the Max apart. 

Edited by fbhb

On 1/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, fbhb said:

Horrible, poor quality solution to holding the roll bars in place as more often than not from the factory the screws are not even making any purchase into the metal of the Roll bars whatsoever!

Mine were mostly held in with hot glue, so I have made and fitted 4 plugs into each end of the Roll bars to drill and tap countersunk stainless screws into.

My decision was mainly to strengthen this area due to currently modding my Sherman with a Sur-ron seat which will be taking All the load on the Roll bars!

Pedal hanger mod

I do plan on posting a write up on what was used/how I am going to mount the Sur-ron seat in case other Sherman owners would be interested.

Would be nice (the write up). Can you include more details how you fitted the stainless scews? I'm very interested since I already lost 2 factory fitted screws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DKMotion said:

Would be nice (the write up). Can you include more details how you fitted the stainless scews? I'm very interested since I already lost 2 factory fitted screws.

Thanks for your comment, I will include the fitment of the stainless screw detail in the Sur-ron seat install, as IMHO that little upgrade is very relevant when going ahead and adding the load from seated riding to the Roll bars!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 10:41 AM, DKMotion said:

@DKMotion Just finished my Sur-ron Seat install write up and posted it to the Forum today at the following link:

• Thanks 1