Max speed and pedal tilt-back when low battery or cold

jimoil

I have KS-14D and recently it was the first time when I went under 20 % level for the battery. Then some strange things happened. I had perhaps 15 % battery and the temperature was maybe 0°C (32°F). Suddenly there was a quite drastic pedal tilt-back, or something similar. I am not sure what happened. The road was slightly wavy, not in good condition, so I'm not sure what the road's role was in this. I was not going very fast. I don't know what my speed was. Maybe 17 km/h?

There was no audible warning (no voiceover). The tilt-back was so unexpected that I completely lost balance and the EUC flew away, damaging the paint. Luckily no bystanders. Does anyone know what happened? My speed settings are: First and Second level alarm 0 km/h, Third level alarm 25 km/h, Pedal Tilt-back 30 km/h.

I think this might be related to another situation the next day. Again the temperature was about 0°C. Now battery level only about 12 %. It complained about slowing down at 15 km/h. I didn't understand why it complained that at such low speed. Then it also said that the battery should be recharged. Then the status screen said Speed Limit 18.8 km/h instead of the normal 20.0 km/h I have there. That leads to me thinking perhaps low battery and/or low temperature change the Speed Limit? Am I on the right track or what happened? Later on the Speed Limit went back to 20.0 km/h.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While a gas tank provides the same amount of energy at all charge levels, a battery does not. It’s more akin to a person: low on energy = low performance. Same for the cold, low performance.

It’s best to charge the wheel up to full and leave the charger plugged in for an hour or two before a ride. But if storing the wheel for weeks is best to have the battery somewhere around 40-80%.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...