Which Electric Cycle should i buy?

More information is needed to answer this question.  Riders weight, experience, speed desired, terrain to be traveled, cost limitation and others.

• Like 2

I started with an 18xl but in retrospect I think an mcm5 would have been better. I have never ridden one but for the price the specs seem amazing. And the 18xl is a little annoying to put in a car, I think having a kind of smaller wheel is rly nice and something I didn't think about at first or maybe give enough weight (no pun intended). Also, I'm wondering if a used ninebot one e+ would be a good wheel for learning on in case you end up dropping it or crashing as you learn the skill (I think a like-new one would go for like $450 and the range and speed aren't total trash at least imo). 

Edited by RamonatheCat

Learning to ride an EUC takes commitment and determination at first. However, I'd say 90+% (total speculation, of course) of people who buy one will be thrilled with the idea and will stick with it until they get it. In other words, don't buy low just to hedge your bet.

As someone who owns four Ninebots including three E+, I use to believe that buying a low-end older wheel (new or used) such as the NB1E+ made the most sense for most new riders. While still a great wheel in most regards, the primary and probably only reasons to buy an E+ (forget the C+) nowadays is if you are and will be budget-constrained for the foreseeable future, and/or you have a family member (child, cautious spouse, etc) you will gift the wheel to when you've outgrown it. In either case, a used E+ for under $300 or a new-ish one for $350-400 would be a great choice. If you can afford more than $500, there are better options, and you should base your decision on other factors such as use case, weight, terrain, desired speed, etc.

Edited by litewave

13 minutes ago, litewave said:

Learning to ride an EUC takes commitment and determination at first. However, I'd say 90+% (total speculation, of course) of people who buy one will be thrilled with the idea and will stick with it until they get it. In other words, don't buy low just to hedge your bet.

As someone who owns four Ninebots including three E+, I use to believe that buying a low-end older wheel (new or used) such as the NB1E+ made the most sense for most new riders. While still a great wheel in most regards, the primary and probably only reasons to buy an E+ (forget the C+) nowadays is if you are and will be budget-constrained for the foreseeable future, and/or you have a family member (child, cautious spouse, etc) you will gift the wheel to when you've outgrown it. In either case, a used E+ for under $300 or a new-ish one for $350-400 would be a great choice. If you can afford more than $500, there are better options, and you should base your decision on other factors such as use case, weight, terrain, desired speed, etc.

Asking as someone who just bought an e+ to compliment an 18xl, do you think the e+ has something to offer in terms of waterproofing, portability, loaning to a friend to learn on and freedom to learn tricks without worrying about damaging a more expensive wheel? And have you done any mods on any of your e+? (sorry if this is getting off-topic)

Edited by RamonatheCat

18 minutes ago, RamonatheCat said:

Asking as someone who just bought an e+ to compliment an 18xl, do you think the e+ has something to offer in terms of waterproofing, portability, loaning to a friend to learn on and freedom to learn tricks without worrying about damaging a more expensive wheel?

Waterproofing: The E+ is not waterproof nor water-tight. Water can ingress into the battery and controller compartments, but is highly unlikely. 

Portability: yes/no. Relatively light-weight, it can be lugged around by most people, but its optional trolley accessory is rubbish.

Loan to others: yes/no. If someone is already proficient at riding EUCs, he/she will be unimpressed by your gesture of kindness unless they don't have and can't afford a wheel of their own. Otherwise, for new learners, the E+ is a great choice.

Learn tricks: eh, maybe. You'll be very limited by its low torque, but, sure, you can practice riding backwards, on one leg, or flipping it around.

Edited by litewave

1 hour ago, RamonatheCat said:

I started with an 18xl but in retrospect I think an mcm5 would have been better. I have never ridden one but for the price the specs seem amazing. And the 18xl is a little annoying to put in a car, I think having a kind of smaller wheel is rly nice and something I didn't think about at first or maybe give enough weight (no pun intended). Also, I'm wondering if a used ninebot one e+ would be a good wheel for learning on in case you end up dropping it or crashing as you learn the skill (I think a like-new one would go for like $450 and the range and speed aren't total trash at least imo). 

You think the 18xl is tough to simply lay on its side in a car, try a sherman. I hate picking it up so much that it rarely travels with me. My back and hernias thank me when I leave it and toss the 18 or mten in the cars... 18xl (18L) was my first wheel. Its still the best general purpose imho. Any lighter or smaller and its speed/range/comfort would be compromised. Believe it or not, the Mcm5 isnt as portable as it appears. I was shocked at how large and heavy they were, when I first tried one.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You think the 18xl is tough to simply lay on its side in a car, try a sherman. I hate picking it up so much that it rarely travels with me. My back and hernias thank me when I leave it and toss the 18 or mten in the cars... 18xl (18L) was my first wheel. Its still the best general purpose imho. Any lighter or smaller and its speed/range/comfort would be compromised. Believe it or not, the Mcm5 isnt as portable as it appears. I was shocked at how large and heavy they were, when I first tried one.

Ah yeah I can imagine the Sherman would be a nightmare to try to carry or lift anywhere. The 18xl feels amazing it seems like a well rounded wheel and probably more stable than the mcm5.