V11 charging issues with other than the V11 charger - is this normal!?

mhpr262

So for the last year I have owned a V10F. I could charge it with the 1.5A factory charger as well with an aftermarket 84V/5A charger that I bought on amazon. Today the V11 I had found on amazon for 600€ off arrived and I tried out my chargers with the dual charge port of the V11.

The 2.5A charger that came with the V11 worked just fine, but the wheel wont charge when I plug in just the 1.5A charger of the V10F or the 5A amazon charger by themselves.

When I plug in the V11 charger first, then the V10F charger starts charging too (and stops charging whenever I unplug the V11 charger). The 5A amazon charger wont charge the wheel at all, no matter which of the two Inmotion chargers is already plugged in.

This is a sore disappointment because I had been hoping to be able to charge the wheel with the 5A + 1.5A chargers whenever I do a longer tour. How on earth can the wheel discern between different simple sources of voltage?! The plugs are all just GX-12 type plastic plugs with just + and - poles. All chargers work perfectly fine and are made for 20 cell/84V li-ion batteries.

EDIT: nevermind, I have found the answer in this old post here: eWheels V10 5 amp fast charger and the new V11 - Page 2 - Inmotion - Electric Unicycle Forum (euc community)

Apparently the V11 charger has power on Pin 1 and Pin 3 while the V10F charger has power on Pin 1 and Pin 2. Holy shit what an utterly retarded idea.  Probably done intentionally so you cant use the V10F charger on the V11 and you have to buy a second V11 charger if you want to charge at 5 Amps.

Edited by mhpr262

Yeah, I have already soldered a GX16-3 to GX12-3 adapter that lets me connect the 5A charger to the V10F. On the amazon page the charger plug looked exactly like the GX12-3 factory plug - imagine my surprise when I found out that something like a GX16-3 plug existed too and that it was exactly that.

Was a dicey piece of work too - between checking and rechecking and triple checking I had the polarity correct I almost short circuited both chargers once by plugging them into each other, LOL.

Now I will have another piece of crap lying around that I am going to lose or forget or confuse it with the other adapter all the time, sigh...

• Like 1

Haha yeah, seems like you're ready for more :D

Personally I converted most of my chargers to XT60, on which I then plug the right XT-60 to <format> adapter.
It's easier than converting a weird connector to another weird one.

As example, I've been charging my 16X with 2x 1.5A fanless chargers, one from the V10F and the other from Kingsong (same charger actually).

Then I also have a 4.2A 84V charger, which can be used either on the V10F or 16X that way.

I am currently considering removing the battery from my V10F and converting both wheels so they can accept an external battery. That way I could keep the V10F battery under my coat when riding in the cold. Or, alternatively, I could plug it into the V11 as a secondary battery which would give me a 2.500Wh battery... my own V11F so to speak. 

I have been doing R/C sports with high powered multi cell lipo batteries and brushless motors for almost 25 years, so I know fairly well what I am doing when it comes to soldering, but those two wheels  - and their batteries and motherboards - will cost a LOT of money to fix if something goes wrong...

Not to be a downer, but the V10F pack is not suited for external use. The original design protects it from moisture and shocks rather well, but outside of that it'll be very vulnerable.

Part of riding an EUC is walking or falling off the wheel. IMO it makes external batteries not an option.
Most of the fun is off-road and taking (measured) risks, accepting to fail is a great way to progress. Most external options, especially if carried on your body would make all this unsafe.

The V11 has two packs one on each side. Removing and putting them back would be quite a hassle, with the risk of something going wrong each time.

As much as I also like hacking stuff, I would not recommend.
There are some good fast chargers tho, and carrying them in a backpack is quite okay. However the V10 or V10F are not good at charging fast. V12? Much better (100.8V 10A, although it's pushing it a bit)
Sherman a bit more (100.8V 12.5A) :D

So yeah please be careful. Some of the assumptions you got from your R/C sports experience might not translate too well with EUCs.
The examples you listed here have problems, but there are some riders who added packs to their wheels successfully already so it can be done.