Kingsong 16x tilt cut off angle adjustment

Arrt

I have played around with changing the cut off angle and have observed the wheel spin up when I lean it over so I know the wheel has taken some changes. Then after learning my lesson the other week on a ride without the raised cutoff angle I got dropped on my ass on a banked turn at the bike park. The next time at the park in my app I tried changing the cut off angle and would tilt it over to test and it would beep and cut at the normal position. I got scared and didn't try the run, but now at home my wheel is spinning out whenever I tilt it over gently.

Why does it only take effect when I don't want it?

I am looking into getting an mten3 for some lil zippin and such, can the tilt cutoff be adjusted on gotways?

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Arrt said:

getting an mten3 for some lil zippin and such, can the tilt cutoff be adjusted on gotways?

Theoretically yes (there is a setting and it does work). BUT. When the MTen falls over, the first thing to hit is the pedal/pedal hanger because they're so low. If the tilt angle cutoff is set higher than the minimum, hitting the pedal hanger causes the tire to lift from the ground and the tire spins up to full speed—often touching the ground again. When that happens, the MTen does the "GotWay dance", spins like a devil, bounces around, and takes a chunk out of your shin or ankle. Then it lays on its side and laughs at you while you hop around cursing.

The same thing will happen on any wheel BTW, if the pedal hanger becomes a pivot point that lifts the tire from the ground AND the tilt sensor hasn't shut the motor off, the wheel will dance and spin. Higher pedals increase the angle at which the pedal hanger hits the ground so you can get away with a larger allowable tilt angle before the motor is shut down. Top heavy wheels will probably lay on their side and not let the tire touch on the way over, the MTen seems designed for the 'dance'.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

My 16x definitely does the dance dance aka wheel spins up if I tilt it over slowly with the tilt engaged but it only seems to do it once I'm home from the park and forget to reset the setting. I'll get video next time. That in addition to reading on here that one of the last few updates brought it to the 18xl and 16x.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'll post the trail wipeout video as well if people want to see it. I bounced right back up, but got a nasty bruise on my bum bone.  

4 minutes ago, Arrt said:

it only seems to do it once I'm home from the park

Turn the GPS off on your phone when you go to the park, somebody told me the skater doods and doodettes don't like being shown up by wheels so they lobbied for and got a super secret geofence installed for KS wheels. Automagically and silently resets the tilt angle when you're in a skate park...

^^^ bad joke. I'm betting @Brendan "nog3" Halliday is correct, that the tilt angle adjustment doesn't actually work on the 16X—probably to keep it from dancing. It's one thing to get hit by a spinning MTen, quite another by a 50 lb wheel... probably break your leg.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

the tilt angle adjustment doesn't actually work on the 16X—probably to keep it from dancing. It's one thing to get hit by a spinning MTen, quite another by a 50 lb wheel... probably break your leg.

My sherman bit me at .00001 mph as I layed it down then on its nose. It was sore for days. Yeah, even the baby mten can issue a quick dance lesson you wont soon forget.

I have it set to 60 degrees and definitely tilts further than the normal setting.  

19 hours ago, Tawpie said:

^ bad joke. I'm betting @Brendan "nog3" Halliday is correct, that the tilt angle adjustment doesn't actually work on the 16X—probably to keep it from dancing. It's one thing to get hit by a spinning MTen, quite another by a 50 lb wheel... probably break your leg.

20 hours ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

The tilt cutoff angle only applies to the S18, it does not currently apply to any 16X firmware variant.

What is the proper way to set the 16x on its side without turning it off?  Does lifting the trolley handle until it is past the tilt angle work?  I needed to set mine down quickly yesterday and turned it off first.

41 minutes ago, duanew said:

What is the proper way to set the 16x on its side without turning it off?

lol! I just let it flop over. Not graceful, but my roll.nz keeps it from being scratched at all. It's harder on the bottom side of the pedals, but mine are plenty banged up already. All in all though, it's probably better to turn it off before setting it on its side. Safer too.

42 minutes ago, duanew said:

Does lifting the trolley handle until it is past the tilt angle work?

You have to be actually lifting it by the trolley handle for the lift switch to shut the motor off, simply extending the handle doesn't activate the lift switch cutoff. I wouldn't try to lay it on its side with the handle extended—if it does decide to spin around the handle will not be helpful.

16 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

lol! I just let it flop over. Not graceful, but my roll.nz keeps it from being scratched at all. It's harder on the bottom side of the pedals, but mine are plenty banged up already. All in all though, it's probably better to turn it off before setting it on its side. Safer too.

You have to be actually lifting it by the trolley handle for the lift switch to shut the motor off, simply extending the handle doesn't activate the lift switch cutoff. I wouldn't try to lay it on its side with the handle extended—if it does decide to spin around the handle will not be helpful.

I don't like letting it flop over because I don't have a cover on it. I took it off because I like the looks better. This may not work for other EUCs but it might for the 16x.  I am going to try it and see.  I will do it in the grass for less traction.  Pull up on the trolley handle while pushing down on the body and lay it over.

I went and played with the setting in EUC World, but could not tell a difference. It definitely shuts off earlier than the video above.  It will shut off before the pedal hanger touches the ground which makes it easy to set down on its side.  It may be one of those settings that require a power cycle to activate.  I will investigate further.

I have seen in some videos folks saying it has to be moving above a speed to activate, but in my experience playing around since asking this question it seems like it needs to have recently been above some speed for it to be in effect. 

2 hours ago, Arrt said:

folks saying it has to be moving above a speed to activate

That actually makes a lot of sense. Makes it safer if a stationary or very slowly moving wheel tips over but alllows more tip angle when you’re doing “expert level” foolishness.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 11:22 AM, Tawpie said:

When I want to lay my 16x on its side, I lift up on the handle to engage the lift switch.  After I hear the beep, I keep tension on the handle as I lay it down.  I have never had it try to dance away with me.  After getting tilt cutoff on a tight pivot with the default settings, I have my cutofff angle set to 50 deg now which seems to be enough to avoid the tilt cutoff for my riding needs.  I haven't taken a banked corner though.

• Like 2