V8 Inmotion no longer turning on after disassembling & reassembling (to replace tube and tyre)

Asurbakt1

I've just replaced my InMotion tube and tyre, which I have done several times in the past before without any issue.

After re-assembling all the components (including all the cables) back to normal, I couldn't switch on the Inmotion v8 anymore. I couldn't even charge it (there are no indication at all from the battery bars). How do I know if the problem is the board or the battery?

Edited by Asurbakt1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:31 PM, alcatraz said:

Did you forget to connect the battery by both of its cables?

did both

On 9/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, Snakedoc6 said:

Try to connect the wheel to the INMOTION app and run a diagnostic test

It can't turn on though, the battery indicator is off.

I know this is unlikely the case (longshot) but I just had my old trusty V8 act all dead on me. I measured the battery cell voltages and I had a low cell group below 3V. I charged it up over 3V and the wheel is now all normal again.

So if the battery doesn't like its values then the wheel will act all dead.

Between 4.25v and 3.0v. 

The reason why it's unlikely to be this is that you said you just changed a tire. If the battery hasn't corroded or been in storage for a long time, then it's unlikely to have failed while you fixed the tire.

I'm thinking it's just a glitch. Just keep it disconnected for a while, and try again. Remember to try and turn on the wheel several times. It might not react the first time.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 12:42 PM, alcatraz said:

I know this is unlikely the case (longshot) but I just had my old trusty V8 act all dead on me. I measured the battery cell voltages and I had a low cell group below 3V. I charged it up over 3V and the wheel is now all normal again.

So if the battery doesn't like its values then the wheel will act all dead.

On 9/26/2021 at 1:55 PM, alcatraz said:

Between 4.25v and 3.0v. 

The reason why it's unlikely to be this is that you said you just changed a tire. If the battery hasn't corroded or been in storage for a long time, then it's unlikely to have failed while you fixed the tire.

I'm thinking it's just a glitch. Just keep it disconnected for a while, and try again. Remember to try and turn on the wheel several times. It might not react the first time.

Thanks very much for your response, I appreciate it, I'll see if I can figure it out.

Is this normal when the light blinks and glitches every 5-6 seconds with that brief glitching sound (as can be seen in this video)?

All the green lights are switched off after 5-10 seconds when I press and hold the button and/or connect the charger

Also checked the battery voltage in the multimeter it's 18 Volt <-- is this okay?

Edited by Asurbakt1

If I remember correctly (I may very well be wrong), the battery voltage can't be measured on the battery output terminal.

I think it's possible to measure it somewhere on the control board but the wheel may need to be turned on first.

I don't have experience of failsearching the V8 but I have opened up the battery and it was a very easy task. It's easy to put it pack together afterwards (minus the shrinkwrap) and use it.

So if you think the problem could lie with the battery, then I recommend you to just open it. It's super easy. It's super well protected even without the outer shell. When you lift the tape off the balance wire terminals on the side of the bms, from there you can measure all the cell groups. If they're all between 3-4.2v then the battery should be accepted.

I do want to stress that it's unlikely to be the battery if you only replaced the tire. I can only say that the symptoms do resemble the low voltage problem I just had. 

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I don't have experience of failsearching the V8 but I have opened up the battery and it was a very easy task. It's easy to put it pack together afterwards (minus the shrinkwrap) and use it.

Imho messing with the battery should preferably done by experienced ones. And if possible only as very last measure - if one is sure it's the battery and one does not replace it anyhow...

• Like 1

Yeah, absolutely. I was referring to the V8 specifically. It doesn't rely on the shrinkwrap to isolate most of its sensitive terminals, like most other brands. A V8 battery without the shrinkwrap still has like 99% of its protection to the outside.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Asurbakt1 said:

Is this normal when the light blinks and glitches every 5-6 seconds with that brief glitching sound (as can be seen in this video)?

All the green lights are switched off after 5-10 seconds when I press and hold the button and/or connect the charger

Also checked the battery voltage in the multimeter it's 18 Volt <-- is this okay?

Another idea before you do anything else is to inspect the two cables going to the battery. They are hard to separate. Sometimes if you pull the wrong way something gets damaged. Check for bent pins, stripped cables etc. Anything that looks odd.

• Like 1