Idea for ks16x "fog lights" mod - any advice?

littlebigmac

I bought my first wheel (ks16x) a few weeks ago and I'm getting the itch to start modding it. I pulled the cover off to see what's going on inside, and the first thing I noticed was that there's an unused LED mounting bracket on the front that's identical to the brake light LED bracket in the rear. 

If possible, I want to try to figure out a way to install bright white LEDs here (solid on, not flashing) to create a sort of "fog light" aesthetic.

I was thinking of trying to acquire a couple spare LED taillight assemblies from KS (not even sure how to go about sourcing these), then remove the existing red LEDs and solder new white LEDs in their places. Next, I'd need to figure out the best place to route power from, ideally so that the lights remained solid on whenever the headlight is on (although I'd love to figure out a way to toggle them on and off independently if possible).

Anyone have any experience in this area? 

KS16-X-Front-LED-Bracket.jpg

KS16-X-Fog-Lights-Concept.jpg

I don't know what kind of power the USB ports put out, but that'll give you regulated 5V (not switchable)... I'd disconnect the USB part and rewire internal. LED strips can be 'salvaged' from the little closet/under counter lights. Not terribly bright but they also don't use much power.

Or look at motorcycle lighting kits—they run off 12V but you can get quite a few strips with colors and patterns and a remote control for pretty cheap.

I think the shell is translucent through and through so they should shine out the front.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

@littlebigmac If you're good with electronics and some soldering skills, it should be a doable project. 

I'm also planning to do this the next time I open my 16x along with other planned mods.

I suggest just buying white LED pods instead of modifying spare tail light assemblies. I have some leftover 12v white LED pods from a recent car project and they're bright enough at 5v. Got them at amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B8P4MNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tho, I haven't really delved into this project yet and need to do more searches on other LED pods - various shapes, sizes and maybe 6V (like for dirt bike applications). 

I recently added a 2nd headlight to my MCM5. Removed the 5v usb port and used that power source then added a switch. Here's that thread - https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/24468-mcm5-initial-review/

Congrats on the 16x, btw. They're well-designed. The first mod I did was to relocate the power switch by the handle for convenience (pic below) and did some water-proofing thru a YT video tutorial. Haven't opened it again since but got a good map of the internals for mods to be done soon: adding a key-lock switch, a kickstand and relocating the tail lights higher. Just waiting for parts to get delivered atm.

834744648_16xswitch.JPG.44751ef1942844eaf3c09e16903ec87b.JPG

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up ordering some flexible motorcycle running lights off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYBRH3G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0YRK5FA0NXZDJBG6HSJ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They’re just the right size and shape to fit the little “cutout” of the shell. I’m going to try wiring them to the 5v usb as suggested above, and add a small toggle switch near the handle.

Also got a little carried away and ordered some extra side panels/pads and pearl white PlastiDip. My plan is to hole-punch the pads and use some gold anodized cone washers and black hex screws to secure the shell while keeping the screws visible and easily accessible. I already tested this on one side of the factory shell/pads and I think that the exposed screws paired with the pearl white paint job could give it a cool aesthetic. The one thing I don’t like is how much the washers sink down into the pads, but I’m going to try using nylon spacers to keep the washers from compressing the pads so much.

image.jpg

45867036-0-CCF-4-DF4-83-A2-A815118911-DC

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:08 PM, Surfling said:

adding a key-lock switch, a kickstand and relocating the tail lights higher. Just waiting for parts to get delivered atm.

I’m curious what you’re planning to use for a kickstand. This is on my wishlist but I haven’t been able to find other examples of people doing this on the 16x. I was thinking a potential solution could be a 3D-printed rigid mudguard that could replace the stock mudguard, but with a flatter/wider tail to support the wheel when it’s tilted back.

@littlebigmac I ordered an s18 kickstand on Aliexpress that was supposed to be here a month ago. It's still on transit somewhere. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002448878431.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65d34c4d6CUOYX

Honestly, this project is really a gamble. Guna try to see what I can do to make it fit. I also had that same thought of a mudguard/stand solution but the mounting area doesn't look supportive enough. See what you come up with. Again, it's been a while since I opened my 16x.

Good luck on your project and post pics when it's done. 

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not to revive a dead thread - but for those curious - the idea only partially works.

While you can place a strip of LEDs onto the front brackets, and even tie them in line to a 5v source. The problem occurs when you place the shell back over top.

The darker tint that's infused with the cutout ends up changing the color temperature of the strip by a fair degree. Say 6000k down to 2700k. And while this isn't necessarily bad, when compared to the headlight, it just looks off. Almost as if they're covered in a layer of dirt.

• Like 1