Riding on Bad Roads - KS 18XL or Nikola Plus?

The 18" tire will smooth out more of crappy roads. However, the Nikola+ is much more difficult to overpower than the 18xl. The Nikola+ is likely to be able to climb out of potholes that the 18xl would pedal dip on. So nikola = somewhat bumpier ride quality but more powerful; 18xl smoother overall but much less powerful. That said, you should feel good about the research you've done so far, having narrowed it down to two good wheels that are each capable on questionable roads. You'd probably be happy with either if that was the only thing that mattered to you. 

If nothing about that helps you decide, between the two, the biggest difference in those wheels I see is that the 18xl is more comfortable/ergonomic and is more convenient for public transportation or shopping with. Whereas, the nikola+ has a top speed and power that absolutely trounces the 18xl side by side. If you can get used to the wider shell the nikola has, and the less than ideal trolley and carrying handle, I think it's the better wheel overall. 

• Like 2

If you haven't ridden an EUC before then I'd go for the 18XL as I think it's easier to ride. The Nik+ is a great wheel but you should get a cover for it before learning on it otherwise you'll scratch the case. If you have ridden before and just want the best wheel for the task then I'd have a look at the Kingsong S20

Edited by mike_bike_kite
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

The 18" tire will smooth out more of crappy roads. However, the Nikola+ is much more difficult to overpower than the 18xl. The Nikola+ is likely to be able to climb out of potholes that the 18xl would pedal dip on. So nikola = somewhat bumpier ride quality but more powerful; 18xl smoother overall but much less powerful. That said, you should feel good about the research you've done so far, having narrowed it down to two good wheels that are each capable on questionable roads. You'd probably be happy with either if that was the only thing that mattered to you. 

If nothing about that helps you decide, between the two, the biggest difference in those wheels I see is that the 18xl is more comfortable/ergonomic and is more convenient for public transportation or shopping with. Whereas, the nikola+ has a top speed and power that absolutely trounces the 18xl side by side. If you can get used to the wider shell the nikola has, and the less than ideal trolley and carrying handle, I think it's the better wheel overall. 

Thank you, this is very helpful.

13 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

If you haven't ridden an EUC before then I'd go for the 18XL as I think it's easier to ride. The Nik+ is a great wheel but you should get a cover for it before learning on it otherwise you'll scratch the case. If you have ridden before and just want the best wheel for the task then I'd have a look at the Kingsong S20

I'm looking at purchasing a 2nd or 3rd batch S20 next year.  I may even just get a V8F this year, and then get the S20 next year.  We'll see.