KS18XL tire pressure for my weight

Dogmaticjoe

my first wheel the KS18XL should be arriving at my house within the week and was just wondering, since I am going to be letting all the air out and sliming it instantly what tire pressure should I put in it if I weigh 240 lbs. I know I should have it on the high end for my weight and I am ok with learning how to ride on high tire pressure. I just wanted to ask other peoples opinion since looking up other peoples opinion on tire pressure for this wheel they said they were surprised that they found it easier to ride with higher pressure.

• Like 1

I am also 240 lbs and I go with 33 - 35 psi. I find that is on the soft side for guys our weight. But since I ride it like a gentleman's wheel, it works fine and provides some cushion with good control. When pressure drops into mid 20s psi, the wheel becomes difficult to control, does not turn well, or anything that would cause the tire to want to roll sideways on the rim.

When I 1st got it, I went with 40 psi but found that with my gentler riding style it not have to be that hard. The 2.5" thick tire seems more sensitive to having correct pressure whereas the 3" tires allow a lower psi before feeling wonky.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Scottie said:

I am also 240 lbs and I go with 33 - 35 psi. I find that is on the soft side for guys our weight. But since I ride it like a gentleman's wheel, it works fine and provides some cushion with good control. When pressure drops into mid 20s psi, the wheel becomes difficult to control, does not turn well, or anything that would cause the tire to want to roll sideways on the rim.

When I 1st got it, I went with 40 psi but found that with my gentler riding style it not have to be that hard. The 2.5" thick tire seems more sensitive to having correct pressure whereas the 3" tires allow a lower psi before feeling wonky.

Yup, this is what I was thinking. 35psi for plush, 40psi standard.  Im a light guy 130lbs, so I ride at 25psi plush, 30psi standard. Its an amazingly comfortable wheel. I quite like the larger pedals and the flatter pedal side angle. Comfy at reasonable speeds and music... Good stuff.

@Dogmaticjoe Be sure to calibrate the wheel for level when you get it. I think that soft vs hard tire pressure, each, have their own benefits and drawbacks. Lower pressure MAY help when you are absolutely so new that you gain stability from the wider footprint. However, this is mitigated by how sluggish it feels. Outside of extremes, I would suggest that you neednt be overly concerned about which is 'easier'. Dont forget, 'ride modes' have some effect, as does default lean angle settings. Trust me, youll be fine with level, medium, avg pressure, for a few days. No need to add more variables, as you struggle with the baseline.

Normal rules apply. If you hit bumps and it rattles your teeth... lower pressure.

If you hit bumps and it hits the rim.....add pressure.

The rest is merely preferences..

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Mine is at 45 psi, and (for me) that makes it a nimble a any 16"wheel. 

Perhaps start at 40 psi and fiddle around a bit higher and lower to see what you like. 

⚠️ Spoiler alert/my prediction: You're going to find it easier at first around 38 psi, but after a few dozen kilometers will prefer it up around 42 psi.

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2021 at 5:57 PM, Dogmaticjoe said:

my first wheel the KS18XL should be arriving at my house within the week and was just wondering, since I am going to be letting all the air out and sliming it instantly what tire pressure should I put in it if I weigh 240 lbs. I know I should have it on the high end for my weight and I am ok with learning how to ride on high tire pressure. I just wanted to ask other peoples opinion since looking up other peoples opinion on tire pressure for this wheel they said they were surprised that they found it easier to ride with higher pressure.

I have an 18XL and my riding weight is usually 215-225 lbs depending on what I'm wearing/carrying.  I ride at 29 psi.  Thru trial and error I found that I like this psi for it's shock absorption and stability/rideability.  

• Like 1