Warning! Better don't do that

DS

I just did something STUPID!

Actually it was supposed to happen and I was aware, but still kind of careless this time.

Because of curiosity, I got used to measure the voltage on the inlet by the pins of multicet device...I may use the wrong words, but  the picture is quite explanatory. This time I accidentally touched with the pin both + and the outside metal ring which I suppose is mass (-). This produced short small spark and I heard something slightly snapped inside....and I already knew that I'm in trouble.

1. Next action I pushed the power button, the led flashed shortly, the wheel didn't powered as normal and after that the electricity shut off.

2. Again (this time extremely carefully...too late :(  ) I measured the voltage and find out fast increasing from 30V to normal more than 60V.

3. Pushed again the power button and was back to step 1, followed by step 2

So, I managed to damage my lovely generic wheel, which performed quite well with 132Wh Samsung battery, never betrayed me so far for that month that I have it.  I suppose this wheel is some kind of early Solowheel copy just with changed design.

Next, I'm going to open the battery and electronic holdings to see for visible damages.

I post this for the other guys to know that measuring the voltage that way is dangerous for your EUC....you just never know when your hand will shake a bit of millimeter.

I would appreciate if someone have knowledge and suggestions of what I've might damaged.

Best,

DS

20160108_200210.thumb.jpg.41cb5eb23a412d

Miracle!

My lovely wheel is back to life :D

Just after 20 minutes I tried to power it and this time everything was normal. I tested some 10 minutes juggling in the room...still OK.

I'm the happiest man on the earth now :rolleyes:..well, I guess I'm already EUC addicted. Don't have an idea what kind of shortcut circuit protection has that little guy and I sweared to myself not to measure the voltage anymore...especially when I'm under little alcohol influence :wacko:

The only think that I'm sorry my generic is back to life so fast, that I lost the reason to make pre - order the new KS 16 inch Rockstar 800W 680Wh...well, temporally I guess :)

I want to dance now.....

Cheers

DS

The bms most likely has a PTC on it that saved your batteries.  The only thing you can really damage on that connector by shorting to something is your battery as it is connected to it in parallel. I doubt you could hurt anything else.  The bms saved you and it took some time for it to cool off before it started functioning. My best guess.  Stop measuring the voltage like that ;) 

Mo

17 minutes ago, Mystamo said:

The bms most likely has a PTC on it that saved your batteries.  The only thing you can really damage on that connector by shorting to something is your battery as it is connected to it in parallel. I doubt you could hurt anything else.  The bms saved you and it took some time for it to cool off before it started functioning. My best guess.  Stop measuring the voltage like that ;) 

Mo

Thank you for the explanation and I will not do it anymore, I promise :)

What is PTC, googled it, but guess is not that: Computer software company · ptc.com

...after changed keywords of the search:

Long live the Google....

PTC stands for „Positive Temperature Coefficient“. PTC thermistors are resistors with a positive temperature coefficient, which means that the resistance increases with increasing temperature.

Just now, Colestien said:

I was only going to suggest you put it back on the charger...read here about some shut downs needed that to restart.

I was considering that option, but at the same time quite afraid to do eventual more damage, so I decided to wait for some advises.

Now, I learned something:

Over-current protection

Switched PTC thermistors are used as over-current limiters or resettable fuses  in various circuits. In the case of an over-current situation, the thermistor body temperature rises and quickly reaches the transition temperature. This results in the resistance of the PTC thermistor sharply rising, limiting current in the circuit. When the over-current or short-circuit situation is solved and the thermistor is cooled down again, the circuit will function as normal again. In this way it acts as a automatic resettable fuse. Normally polymer PTC thermistors are used for this application. They are known under different trade names such as polyfuse, polyswitch and multifuse.

Archived