HELP replacing Sherman rim...

Santos

So..

I bent my rim on my Sherman and got a new one from ewheels.

I’ve never changed the rim before and frankly have no idea what I’m doing 😅

I asked a a friend who’s changed the rim on a monster pro and has engineering skills...

And he said he would help, but is worried about trying to remove the “axle nut” 

That you need a “special socket” to get it over the motor wires.

He’s thinking he may try to “grind a regular socket and cut it to make it work”

Or maybe try banging the bent rim back into shape.

Any suggestions? Or advice from those of you who have replaced hour Sherman rim before?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Santos said:

Any suggestions? Or advice from those of you who have replaced hour Sherman rim before?

One of the best YouTube tutorials that includes swapping the rim can be found in forum member @ShanesPlanet's video he posted online and here recently:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Santos said:

So..

I bent my rim on my Sherman and got a new one from ewheels.

I’ve never changed the rim before and frankly have no idea what I’m doing 😅

I asked a a friend who’s changed the rim on a monster pro and has engineering skills...

And he said he would help, but is worried about trying to remove the “axle nut” 

That you need a “special socket” to get it over the motor wires.

He’s thinking he may try to “grind a regular socket and cut it to make it work”

Or maybe try banging the bent rim back into shape.

Buy a cheap deep well 6 point socket, cut a notch. Dremel will get it done but what a pain. Normal techs with access to a REAL grinder will have no problem. Itll look like a typical O2 socket when done. 100ftlbs is required, but even a cheap BS chinese thinwall can more than likely handle it...  I used a 3/8 drive 15/16ths I had laying around. I had a 24mm on order, but couldnt afford to buy the patience to wait on it...:facepalm:

Sherman is a fast and heavy wheel with somewhat questionable alloys and casting practices on the rims. I would probably NOT try to hammer it back, too much risk. I'd also be damn sure to inspect the new rim fully. If you are swapping the motor PLEASE watch the video, it could save you a finger or two... I dont get paid for the vids, I merely ask you watch, as 9 fingered euc riders are 10% less able to pick their nose while riding... If you're primarily a street rider, definitely give the Pirelli a moment's thought. Any issues or questions, please feel free to ask. I may be full of sh*t, but my answers are nearly right almost 1/2 the time.B)

*Thanks for the mention @fbhb

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Sherman is a fast and heavy wheel with somewhat questionable alloys and casting practices on the rims. I would probably NOT try to hammer it back, too much risk. I'd also be damn sure to inspect the new rim fully.

Shane is spot on here about the poor quality of the rims, with the New wider rim being even more susceptible to damage due to both it's extra width and low quality alloy! 

Please be sure to follow his advice, especially as yet another owner just posted this photo on Facebook today of his totalled Sherman rim:

Another broken Sherman rim

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

OUch... no going up curbs for me

Nor me, even on my narrower 40mm rim!  It's just not worth the risk and downtime. Been there...Done that...Twice already (Sherman downtime, that is)

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1