Question about riding in Germany

syirrus

Hello,

I'm living in Germany. Man I was all hot to pick up a EUC all to learn that Germany has backwards laws when it comes to EUC's. Are there any German EUC users out there that ride on paths that connect towns? For example, between towns there are often paths that cut through farm land. Is it legal to ride just there?  As I understand, it's illegal to ride on the street with EUC's :(

Syirrus

• Like 3

Hey Syirrus, welcome to the community!

Riding the EUC in Germany is only allowed on private ground with fences all around (if they take it very seriously). There are several paths through fields and woods. That is where I ride. But even in forests vehicles are forbidden. Our laws are completely against us... but there are German riders too.

To subdue You a bit more, just watch that interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcV4VgJi-nM

That is a Telegram group with pretty active members:

https://t.me/E_Mobilitaet_Wir_Stehen_Drauf

• Like 3

Hi Syirrus!

Boris is right...And not to forget: we have a german discussion group here which I started 6 years ago...:P

Try to ride at lonesome places with a minimum of pedestrians, prevent driving on or close to main roads, try to attract as less attention as possible...

Have fun
Manuel

• Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 9:05 PM, Boris Lämpel said:

Hey Syirrus, welcome to the community!

Riding the EUC in Germany is only allowed on private ground with fences all around (if they take it very seriously). There are several paths through fields and woods. That is where I ride. But even in forests vehicles are forbidden. Our laws are completely against us... but there are German riders too.

To subdue You a bit more, just watch that interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcV4VgJi-nM

That is a Telegram group with pretty active members:

https://t.me/E_Mobilitaet_Wir_Stehen_Drauf

Thank you for the information. I will check out the youtube video now and the telegram group. It's heart breaking really that simply riding a personal vehicle is made into a crime. sigh.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, Fahrtwind said:

Hi Syirrus!

Boris is right...And not to forget: we have a german discussion group here which I started 6 years ago...:P

Try to ride at lonesome places with a minimum of pedestrians, prevent driving on or close to main roads, try to attract as less attention as possible...

Have fun
Manuel

Yeah I was thinking if I start riding out of site that would be best. There are many open fields with paths that don't have a lot of people on them where I'm at. I have to first watch the video Boris sent me on Youtube and then make my decision. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got a licence plate for my EUC (I told the online insurance company it was a Segway on the form I had to fill out) and attached it to the rear of my wheel on a little, very professional looking but self made sheet aluminium carrier. So far (3.000 km on public roads) it has kept the police off my back. I keep to roads out in the country with as little traffic as possible and avoid riding in cities completely and yet I have encountered police three times. Twice they could have easily stopped me if they had shown any interest but they didnt. My guess is that as long as you look "responsible, professional and mature" (helmet, safety gear) and ride responsibly at less than 15mph, ideally on bike paths, police will mostly leave you alone. It may be different in bigger cities though where police are less relaxed - some other guy was recently stopped in Munich and got into trouble. He didnt have a licence plate though.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 7/11/2021 at 7:46 AM, mhpr262 said:

I got a licence plate for my EUC (I told the online insurance company it was a Segway on the form I had to fill out) and attached it to the rear of my wheel on a little, very professional looking but self made sheet aluminium carrier. So far (3.000 km on public roads) it has kept the police off my back. I keep to roads out in the country with as little traffic as possible and avoid riding in cities completely and yet I have encountered police three times. Twice they could have easily stopped me if they had shown any interest but they didnt. My guess is that as long as you look "responsible, professional and mature" (helmet, safety gear) and ride responsibly at less than 15mph, ideally on bike paths, police will mostly leave you alone. It may be different in bigger cities though where police are less relaxed - some other guy was recently stopped in Munich and got into trouble. He didnt have a licence plate though.

I'm still considering getting an EUC. I have join the telegram group and listened to the YouTube video regarding EUC's and I'm just stuck. I'm not from Germany and well my Deutsch is "okay". I don't want any problems and my plans are to ride out in farmland on the various bike paths. Maybe some bike trails out in the middle of nowhere as well. Do you guys think it's worth running the risk?  I'm at my witts end with this Covid restrictions going on and I figured EUC would be a nice way to learn something new and explore those farm trails. Anyway, sorry for the rant and thank you for all the responses.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, syirrus said:

I'm still considering getting an EUC. I have join the telegram group and listened to the YouTube video regarding EUC's and I'm just stuck. I'm not from Germany and well my Deutsch is "okay". I don't want any problems and my plans are to ride out in farmland on the various bike paths. Maybe some bike trails out in the middle of nowhere as well. Do you guys think it's worth running the risk?  I'm at my witts end with this Covid restrictions going on and I figured EUC would be a nice way to learn something new and explore those farm trails. Anyway, sorry for the rant and thank you for all the responses.  

It is difficult to say. I have run into the police around eight to ten times over 6.000 km so far, despite mostly keeping to the tiniest and most deserted roads out in the boonies. Never had a problem so far even though the Bavarian police is known to be the toughest in Germany.

I attribute it to the license plate, wearing gear, looking like an older guy above middle age, keeping my speed below 25km/h at pretty much all times and not doing reckless, attention getting shit on the wheel. And to the ignorance of the cops in my small town. Some other guy I met on reddit, a Frenchman, was stopped by the police in Munich and got into bigger trouble for uninsured riding.

I'd say if you do like I described above the fine will be moderate if you get caught the first time, and you can always claim ignorance especially as a foreigner. You had better not get caught a second time though, then you are looking at fines well into the four figures.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

It is difficult to say. I have run into the police around eight to ten times over 6.000 km so far, despite mostly keeping to the tiniest and most deserted roads out in the boonies. Never had a problem so far even though the Bavarian police is known to be the toughest in Germany.

I attribute it to the license plate, wearing gear, looking like an older guy above middle age, keeping my speed below 25km/h at pretty much all times and not doing reckless, attention getting shit on the wheel. And to the ignorance of the cops in my small town. Some other guy I met on reddit, a Frenchman, was stopped by the police in Munich and got into bigger trouble for uninsured riding.

I'd say if you do like I described above the fine will be moderate if you get caught the first time, and you can always claim ignorance especially as a foreigner. You had better not get caught a second time though, then you are looking at fines well into the four figures.

I understand.  I'm in Baden Württemberg and I'm a older guy.  Much like you, I'm not looking to impress. Just cruise around in the fields far from anyone. I will for sure get a license plate from one of the various sites and gear up. Thank you for responding again. I've been going back and forth and it's refreshing to hear a reasonable perspective and suggestion.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I was talking to the Irish "Gardai" as we are thinking of creating an EUC group in the West of Ireland (filming rides on the Islands etc.), and they said they count as "MPVs" but currently there is no EU-wide legislation on them. Apparently, the EU has some legislation in the works and the German police will need to adapt it once it becomes EU-wide.

But the "plaquette/badge" idea sounds good plus I'll see if I can get liability insurance with my car ins. company Allianz. Apparently, it costs about 60/year.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I stumbled onto this thread since I'm going to a conference in Germany next week, and was wondering if I could bring my euc with me for the commute between the conference and my hotel. Wow, didn't know the rules were this strict in Germany! That's really sad to hear. Been riding for 2-3 years now in Belgium, where we are allowed to ride just like bicycles. Even without a number plate. Is there really no one trying to push for better legislation, or are we afraid that too much attention might make it even worse..

There is Club called "Bundesverband der Elektrokleinstfahrzeuge", but it doesn't have a financially strong lobby behind it. No political party has the will to change the applicable laws. There is no german industry involved, it could even damage the domestic one and because of the fiasco with the rental scooters they fear to damage their image.

Apart from that, there was a study by the Ministry of Transport that showed either complete incompetence or corruption. In any case, EUC are considered to be largely uncontrollable and therefore not eligible for approval. In addition, since then two independent braking systems and a grab handle for the hands have been mandatory for all vehicles that can be registered. Personally, I don't think that's going to change.

• Like 1