V11 + Duro HF307 UPDATE

macgyvercanada

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 2: A bit of rubbing has developed... just enough to be annoying.  I'm going to try deflating and re-seating the tire.

Also, have managed to pick up a few pieces of gravel.  It's loud!  Got one piece jammed way up at the top of the tire and it took a few minutes to clear, had me really concerned.  Gravel is unavoidable for me; it's on at least portions of all the trails in my area.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:45 PM, macgyvercanada said:

Success!  Thanks to @mrelwood for the V11 tire swap guide at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnB1Ua0wGhU

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/mWYef4y

Installed a 2.75-14 Duro HF307 tire onto my V11.  The tire just barely fits without modification!  There was actually a bit of rubbing internally but it only took a minute to burn off a smidge of rubber.  With such limited clearance I'm concerned about picking up larger pieces of gravel; the internal fairing actually gets smaller toward the front so it would jam debris as the wheel rotates forward.  Otherise, test drive was great!  Very responsive and still reasonably quiet on the roadways, great traction on loose dirt, crusher dust, gravel, and grass.  Feels plush; feels safe.  8/10 would tire swap again.

80kg (180lb) rider
Top pressure: 70psi
Bottom pressure: 140psi
Tire pressure: 25psi

20210624_091421.jpg

Hi, Wow that tire looks really good. Very similar to the Shinko 241 14"x2.75 that I recently installed.
I also had seating issues however resolved themselves with massage, and air.
gravel is scary and fun at the same time. i'm not concerned about a grave lock up anymore. I find the faster you go the less gravel that rolls though, when you tractor along slowly it picks up every stone of gravel and the EUC sounds like you just won big at a coin slot machine.

Excited to test this tire more.

3 minutes ago, Julianjc84 said:

Hi, Wow that tire looks really good. Very similar to the Shinko 241 14"x2.75 that I recently installed.
I also had seating issues however resolved themselves with massage, and air.
gravel is scary and fun at the same time. i'm not concerned about a grave lock up anymore. I find the faster you go the less gravel that rolls though, when you tractor along slowly it picks up every stone of gravel and the EUC sounds like you just won big at a coin slot machine.

Excited to test this tire more.

Yeah I was looking at the Shinko 241 as well but I'd heard a report of the tire rubbing so I tried something different.  I deflated my tire last night, gave it a massage, and re-seated it on the rim.  I also found out that the gauge on my foot pump is out of whack; it's been in storage for a while so maybe something corroded?  As a result I think I may have significantly over-inflated my tire on the last ride!  I grabbed an automotive tire pressue gauge when re-inflating and it's now sitting at ~25 psi without any rubbing issues at all.  Guess I'll need to find myself a gravel fire road and just go flat-out for a while!

5 minutes ago, macgyvercanada said:

Yeah I was looking at the Shinko 241 as well but I'd heard a report of the tire rubbing so I tried something different.  I deflated my tire last night, gave it a massage, and re-seated it on the rim.  I also found out that the gauge on my foot pump is out of whack; it's been in storage for a while so maybe something corroded?  As a result I think I may have significantly over-inflated my tire on the last ride!  I grabbed an automotive tire pressue gauge when re-inflating and it's now sitting at ~25 psi without any rubbing issues at all.  Guess I'll need to find myself a gravel fire road and just go flat-out for a while!

Shinko 241, Only the hairs rub, they brush off fast or easily cut off. The rear kick stand rubs as well on the inside of the tire where it mounts. its easy to Easy to cut the stand and i did However the stand lock into the groove on the tire tread and will cause over load when you turn on the unit. and that's scary!  so ended up removing the stand.
I run the original tire at 27PSI for off-road and 35psi on road.
not sure what my Shinko 241 is at. its hard. The supplied pump gauges is not detailed enough to tell the PSI bellow 50.

some photos here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K68urkFaxNUR42rG8

Edited by Julianjc84

Clearance on the Shinko is maybe 1 or 2mm tighter than the Duro; looks like the Shinko's knobbies are taller.  I also had to snip off the hairs but that was no big deal.  I recommend getting a simple tire gauge to be sure of the tire pressure!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, macgyvercanada said:

Ordered a pair of kickstand holders from Hulaj to prevent the kickstand from locking onto the tire:

https://hulaj.market/en/inmotion-v11/162-improved-kickstand-holders-for-inmotion-v11.html

I don't see what these do or how they help. Side tire rubbing is resolved by cutting the stand hooks and bending the stand wider.
You need a flat plate welded on the actual stand. As it slots into the tire tread when folded out.

2 hours ago, Julianjc84 said:

I don't see what these do or how they help. Side tire rubbing is resolved by cutting the stand hooks and bending the stand wider.
You need a flat plate welded on the actual stand. As it slots into the tire tread when folded out.

Side rubbing isn't the issue; the center of the kickstand can easily get locked right in between the knobbys on the centerline of the tire.  When the wheel is powered off it's actually pretty sweet because it functions as a parking brake.  However, if it happens when the wheel is on then... well, bad things happen...  I hear that this is an effective way to destroy a mainboard.

The kickstand holder locks the stand in place a bit farther out and will allow some extra space for the knobby tire.

Edited by macgyvercanada

On 8/4/2021 at 8:25 AM, macgyvercanada said:

The kickstand holder locks the stand in place a bit farther out and will allow some extra space for the knobby tire.

I understand. Please post some photos when you have installed this item. I'm still skeptical.

Edited by Julianjc84

• 1 year later...

Did you have any accidents or close calls with this tire picking up gravel?   I put the Shinko 244 on my V11 and shaved the sides so it would fit.  The tire has a massive amount of traction.  It's awesome for that.   The downside is that it is a gravel magnet. 
Riding on gravel I'm constantly hearing pieces that are stuck in the knobbies getting flung off as they hit the rear fender.  Then one day while I was riding seated up a dirt logging road, a piece of gravel got jammed in the wheel instead of popping out and I took a tumble.  I hit the back of my head (helmet) really hard but was otherwise unscathed in my HWK motorcycle suit.  I was feeling fine for a few days and then one morning I work up and had vertigo when walking.  I went to the ER and had a CT scan.  It came out ok but the dizziness lasted about 4 weeks.  That was enough of a scare for me to decide to order another tire and warn people about the Shinko 244.

BAG-WpXLiFr4q8wt_azH2hZDFcelAqtKxx5prislLn9hEWMSVAbBVrXAJ8AhD4YhZdmcT2gPIX5VHD7AOFg8kAAGaiL7_XQN0QJKD2pU-WExGPysZjHr8a26OrPPgK59CCIXJDnJkULWh3ReNAwJ09wKGZtFtEZV2Ot6iyhsjR7Qtd3juGa13PcMcT85bVeL4tzLVJURg-7lgjUbgN-md76cRn29OMkt-e_MafxZl4iCD7RoWmcqNZgCl8HqXK4GUTvC2LhuzYb2OBxQWXRD4iO8GkMUS4wNXsmCeKKXuE7sRMD_A_aFdmu9cD2yhhyIWP990TB7xFQ3lmCtvev3gQp_A6ABfKALCKdMOXZG8XBVEBPyNpvpjiaXw3dGvbTkPVWYOlCYIXfr242SVoi4Lo8FPwA_Jvp7GcqoqZdFzVdgduMuopjnOV54R996Bhg4fFEKu_pADZ7ZPnej9k1gI6a4UgPZdFApl2cvP8jegrE-3YqredbPBx3PFS1gEC4VciCAESZXXNSINKwypG1HeuAVLAfPmMB9_I5JPB06xtrzCnahprB3_-5u305C6PYpHv5Y5JNSgkPzkEmPw4e1oCVgv-XdX4k6QnHhKxz9fjSI6p9yeRmjhT9UYNvJc-rs5rEUf42rUj2TBuA5UUP6HZQ1tOO49TDkeYnjOT1yj7mtRrUNJLssPHBNO95fMDj7CdD7fBSMJ96Evjwstq-MPe1STAqpW7q0kYq81pl0KMVCOl8_AeRo1zSIU6LZJ6RyRXBzE-XNRCAI9evo1BaOGeUahADvr424TD6bvrQg_-oNCcdhhTCmv1u3go9KBtQAhZcJy5juagIg-YSijcPKAMRxtOu5G4eYbQh1ErSQueOhFwXzdD3npD5m2tH0Mi9IAYvWcWtX4yMCkTUG0lkm7u4lt7Xbc1islxWEu4vmzJuolA=w528-h937-no?authuser=0

VBIKG4vUWOLz9Oyt4WPjZ7Gf5oyWsKVxygHg2BAF

Edited by Ben S