Speed Wobble Fix

Lex Smith

Thought this worth sharing since I haven't seen it during my browsing of the forum (apologies if it has been previously covered).

Anyway I had been experiencing some speed wobbles on my Inmotion V11 when I hit around 40 to 45 km/h.  Figured it was just something to learn to adapt to and control and to be honest was making progress on that front but yesterday replaced the bearings after they started making a horrible noise and opted for some good quality Japanese bearings.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it feels like I've got a new wheel.  It is actually pretty new with only 500 km on it but the difference in smoothness and quietness is amazing and unexpectedly I now don't experience any speed wobbles either accelerating or braking.  Almost hit 50 km/h today and nothing (total ride length was 43 km - a new best for me).

When I buy my next new wheel I think I'll be swapping the bearings out as a matter of course - the improvement is that profound.

Worth keeping in mind if you're experiencing a lot of speed wobbles that are giving you grief!

Kind regards

Lex

Can’t help thinking about the numerous other possible causes for the difference in ride feel. Slowly leaking shocks or tire pumped to correct pressures, the vertical sliding bars being tightened in an angle that lets them slide more freely, tire seated better after deflating, motor covers holding the bearings slightly tilted before for some reason, … etc.

There’s just not much the bearings themselves can do to induce wobbles. At least I can’t think of anything.

Either way, it’s a great feeling to successfully improve on one’s wheel! Happy to hear that the process went well.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Can’t help thinking about the numerous other possible causes for the difference in ride feel. Slowly leaking shocks or tire pumped to correct pressures, the vertical sliding bars being tightened in an angle that lets them slide more freely, tire seated better after deflating, motor covers holding the bearings slightly tilted before for some reason, … etc.

There’s just not much the bearings themselves can do to induce wobbles. At least I can’t think of anything.

Either way, it’s a great feeling to successfully improve on one’s wheel! Happy to hear that the process went well.

I checked the shock and Tyre pressures weekly, never changed, no sign of wear on sliding bars indicating misalignment,  didn't deflate Tyre, the design of the motor covers wouldn't really allow misalignment and no gaps in sealer on flange to indicate this.  I was looking for faults throughout the process since I was trying to find the cause of a knocking noise as an aside to fixing the bearing noise.  My theory is the old bearings had too much side play in them which allowed the wheel to oscillate side to side which at speed fed on itself getting ever worse.  Just an opinion though. The new bearings fixed the knocking noise as well which appeared to be caused by the inner rotor clipping the outer rim at a couple of high points (possible because of the play in the old bearings).

• Like 2

Ah, play in the old bearings would explain it, I think you might be right in that assumption! Didn’t come to think of it on a wheel with only 500km on it. If that was the case, you definitely got the worst of luck with the original bearings. I had never heard of any significant play on any EUC bearings before.

• 1 year later...

I've recently experienced speed wobbles on my V11, which already had relatively new quality bearings and rim. (I totally agree - upgrade all bearings and low quality HW) Tried adjusting pressures of shocks and tire (SR241). Suspected loose power pads. Tore it down to put on a new SR241 and see structural issues along the center seam, missing pieces of battery cover, a bolt or two missing, etc. (This V11 has been 90% off-road and raced). Now, I'll be addressing them all!

A number of things can cause wobble, but if you're experienced riding the wheel and it happens, it may be time to do a thorough inspection!

• Like 1