Austin, TX USA?

Planetpapi

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

On 6/14/2017 at 8:25 AM, Circuitmage said:

I'm on a inmotion v3pro, as my entry level wheel. I just got it, so will take me some time getting "up to speed". :)

Live in Leander, work downtown.

Welcome Circuit! Look forward to riding with you sometime the next time I'm in Austin!

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello, am seeking to try/demo electric unicycle(s) to determine if usable in conjunction with steadicam. Seems an EU would be ideal in close quarters like offices, halls, etc, but need to try to determine if it's practical. Max. weight is about 220 lbs.Reviews seem to vary regardless of model...

Am in Austin, TX. Contact info: asowder@kvue.com  / Office phone: 512-533-2251

• 3 months later...

Hello guys, I bought an EUC and it’s gonna take 5 days to arrive. 

I live in Austin and I wonder what’s the best place to learn. Zilker park (grass)?

Is there any gathering in Austin? Would love to get some tips from veterans. 

Hello, and welcome. Wow...reading through this thread a lot has changed. I am now on my 3rd wheel (18L) after two upgrades.

To answer your Q: I would suggest a local school or playground with a flat open cement area (basketball courts are good) and/or a wall or fence to lean on at the very beginning. Don't give up, lots of other tips on this forum if you search.

See Michael's post for local FB group above...yes, several rides get scheduled (but I personally have not participated in too many).

Congratulations, and ride safe!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 11:10 AM, Uniafi said:

Hello guys, I bought an EUC and it’s gonna take 5 days to arrive. 

I live in Austin and I wonder what’s the best place to learn. Zilker park (grass)?

Is there any gathering in Austin? Would love to get some tips from veterans. 

Welcome! Join our facebook group and we can see if we can meetup sometime. I have a few trainer wheels that you can beat around to learn on.

Edited by Michael Vu

I don’t use Facebook. Will see if I can access the meetups without an account. 

As as for learning, it took me 20min to ride. I set the maximum speed to 10mph and was able to stay on riding inside a parking lot. 

I would say it took me two to three days to give me some confidence to reach 22mph. And four days to make closer turns.

its damn fun but gets a lot of attention. People think it’s an alien device. 

Edited by Uniafi

Yup. After 2 years I still get looks, comments, questions both around my neighborhood and near work.

That progress sounds pretty good. If you are already going 22mph, I would seriously consider safety gear. IMHO anything over 15mph is the danger zone.

• 8 months later...

FYI for those in the Austin and the surrounding Texas area. USA cycling will hold a competition event in Austin, TX on Feb 15th which includes a category for "One Wheeled". This is the first time they are doing this and want to see how much interest there is for this type of competition category. A couple of us will be competing with our EUCs and would love anybody else to come join us.

https://www.bikereg.com/full-gas-on-peddlers-pass-winter

• Like 2

• 2 years later...